www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: butternut opener

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question butternut opener

i'll be fishing butternut this opening weekend. i know there was an early thaw so the walleyes should be in their late spring pattern i'm assuming. I know this tends to be the early weed growth but on butternut there's not a lot of submerged weeds so i'm wondering what areas i should target. thanks, Keith

can't help you with the eye's could you please let us know water temps
    and how the weeds are coming in will be up 1st week of june on ski patrol
    and it's the wife's favorite lake.
    Thank You.

Teenfisher,
    The water temps are in the low to mid 50's. Stay shallow. 3ft to 6 ft. Use 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigs tipped with small minnows or use #4 bait hooks with slip bobbers. Muskies are still extremely shallow. Saw a dandy last nite. The weed growth is starting to develope and the cabbage starting to bud. Use a little piece of gulp ahead of the minnow if you can't get bit. With the high winds the water is a little cloudy stay with orange or chartruese color jigs and hooks.
    Good Luck Fishing
    Joe
    Northland Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    Joe Brezinski - Professional Fishing Guide

Web Site: http://www.northlandguideservice.net/

Talking much appreciated!

thanks for the advise joe. i will try to make sure to report back after the fishing. and yes flambeau riverman, i will get the water temps for you and weed growth status.

Thanks teenfisher looking forward to your report.
    I have to admit I'm a little jealous still a month before
    we get to wet a line. Have a good trip and Good Luck fishing.

Unhappy opener

well, i went out. had to rent a boat from northern pines because my boat is broken at the moment. conditions were tough considering the trolling motor did not work and there was no fishfinder. to make matters worse there was 30mph winds. tried fishing windswept shorelines but the wind was just so furious that fishing was near impossible for us as we didn't have the suited equipment for the conditions. tried fishing bays that were out of the wind somewhat only to find last years weeds. the spots that did have good weeds were in the danger zone of the wind. we stopped the fishing at around 2pm like most on the water as the wind was just getting worse. talked to some others who had either caught nothing like us or had caught a couple some walleyes and northerns as well.