Hi folks. The countdown has begun to the 2010 open water fishing season. I’m anticipating a GREAT season coming our way but there will be some different items to deal with because of the early spring we’ve received. Spawning activity has all but ended on most of the area waters and fish have entered the post-spawn. Come opening weekend look for fish around any new submergent weed growth and timber. These fish should be moving in to put on a major feed bag – just in time for opening day. Jig-and-minnow combinations will work very well and I also would not be afraid to have leeches and even some crawlers with me. Water temps around the area have been hovering around 51 degrees.

Smallmouth are beginning to move into staging areas on dark water lakes such as the Turtle-Flambeau, and crappies have also begun to stage for their upcoming spawn. Some of the smallest lakes are already seeing them move in and out, but mostly you’ll find these fish hanging in 8 to 10 feet of water in the weeds just outside their spawning areas.

Water levels here in the north are very low and some lakes will be un-launchable to anything over a 16’ boat. Area flowages are down substantially. The best of the big three flowages in this area is the Turtle-Flambeau which seems to be down about two feet. The Willow and the Rainbow are both about 12 ft. down. If you have any questions on water levels, check in with your local bait shops as they should be up to date about the area you’re fishing.

Good luck fishing. Jeff