www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: reel for cowgirls or spankybaits

Default reel for cowgirls or spankybaits

what rod, reel and gear ratio do you recommend for the big double 10 bucktails?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    what rod, reel and gear ratio do you recommend for the big double 10 bucktails?
    I would suggest an 8'6-9' rod. You might want to check out the newer Okuma 9'3 rods in a heavy/extra heavy or look for a Musky Innovations rod in a 9'heavy. I use Musky Innovations rods and really love them. I really like the Okuma Induron or Red Isis for big blades. Usually a lower gear ratio is needed for these baits, something in the 5.2 or lower range is good. If you have the money you can check out the Shimano Trinidad or similar 'saltwater' reels that have 40"+ of line taken in on every crank.

Default herbie

garcia revo winch 4;6/1
    rod length is important but also somewhat depends on your height,physical stature,and how your boat is set up or how high off the water.
    personally since i'm no giant and seem to be shrinking yearly i don't feel comfortable with a rod much over 8 1/2 which i feel is probabaly the best overall length for castablity with ease,good length for boatside manuevers,forgiveness in fighting fish
    even more importantly is the action of the rod. strong butt and a quick tip is best, many rods are being built to stiff over the whole length making casting more work than necessary,and not enough forgiveness with tight drags and super lines especially at the boat.
    probably the most action specific rod built specifically for throwing big blades,handles practically all other baits besides from smaller tails to dawgs,and is a dream to throw is the st croix sling blade model # lm86hf and ltm86hf (model #'s are just diff handles one a split grip if you're a reel palmer the other full cork and foregrip depending on a persons preference)
    fenwick etm86xh and musky innovations 8-0-86 heavys are also used by alot and have been proven actions and rods.
    Last edited by Steve Herbeck; 04-12-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    personally since i'm no giant and seem to be shrinking yearly.
    You're not shrinking, our group is just getting bigger every year .

If you can afford it, Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 Winch (4.6:1) or Shimano Calcutta 400 TE. They're expensive but worth every penny. Abu Garcia 7000C3s (4.1:1) are much cheaper and work great. They are pretty heavy though. Lots of people like Diawa Saltists. I have never tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by catchandrelease View Post
    If you can afford it, Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 Winch (4.6:1) or Shimano Calcutta 400 TE. They're expensive but worth every penny. Abu Garcia 7000C3s (4.1:1) are much cheaper and work great. They are pretty heavy though. Lots of people like Diawa Saltists. I have never tried one.
    If you get a 400TE you should put a power handle on it.

Hey Dave, if you have not already went out and bought a new reel you might want to get the Callcutta 400TE. The one I have has been used by myself and my clients for three seasons at Herbies and it still works great!!! That's well over 100 days a season of slinging big baits, and The drag works amazing!

Take care,

Scott