www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Steelhead Reports

Default Steelhead Reports

Anybody have anything to share? Any reports from Escanaba area or Lake Superior waters?

Been fishing the Manistique River since mid march. Been a weird year here. The papermill never opened the gates on the dam and fishing has been alot different. I would say the main run is pretty much over already. A long hard rain may bring some new fish in, but i don't think that will happen any time soon. I have made 20 trips down to the river now (an hour or 2 each before or after work) and ended up with 5 fish. All were 5 to 8 pounds. My favorite bait of choice was a bobber, red sz 6 treble, big/fat/juicy spawn bag.

Very few fisherman left. A steelhead run over the first week of April. Never seen that before up here. The fish have moved from the deeper holes and now have other things on their mind. The last few days I have seen a group of 20 steelhead concentrated, and in full spawning mode. Pretty neat to watch. After throwing a spawn bag at them for an hour, I decided to go back to my favorite rig, the clown egg. After about 10 more casts, for some reason a 5 pound male decided that he prefered the taste of yarn over spawn. He was caught, photographed, and released. I went back to the same spot today and everything was gone.

Doesn't seem like there is ever any mention of wader fishing for steelies on here. Anybody care to share reports, favorite set ups, locations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo001.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	9161  

Hell, I can't even find suckers right now let alone something more valuable on the fish food chain.