www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Now what do we fish for?

Default Now what do we fish for?

That is until we can start 'ski fishing! LOL!!!

Ifishskis Jr. (Mark) and I hit the WI River below the Mosinee dam today and Jr. outfished me...again! He caught 2 'eyes to my 1 and all were undersize. Seems like the walleye run is done.

Now what can we fish for until the 'skis open up? Joel - I read your article in the paper and you mentioned northerns. What about crappies? Lake Wausau is in our backyard so that would be the first place we'd probably go.

Can you please share "something" to get us started in the right direction? Where? How? etc?

Thanks!

Ifishskis (Jim)

Default After the walleye run

Panfish would be my target right now. Focus on areas where you found panfish late ice fishing and then start targeting shallower water. I will often use small plastics tipped with waxworms or small minnows for bait. As the water warms and begins to approach the 60 degree mark, crappies will move into the shallow water to spawn. I would also check some of the backwaters on Lake Wausau for perch. Take a kid fishing

See you on the water
    Todd

Hi Jim,

The pike action has been consistent on both Lakes Wausau and DuBay. With the water temps in the mid 50's (as of the weekend), the fish should remain both active and shallow for quite some time; look for backwater areas, the inside of bays (work from shallow to deep), and shallow flats. Lake Wausau is a great pike lake, and does indeed hold some big fish. Lately swimbaits have been very good, and as the water gets a bit warmer, inline spinners, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits will all produce as well. The crappies are starting to bite now too, as they begin staging along channel edges adjacent to shallow spawning grounds. Slip bobbers and small countdown style crankbaits are both working.

Tight lines,
    Wisconsin Angling Adventures
    Joel DeBoer

Web Site: http://www.wisconsinanglingadventures.com
    FaceBook: Joel DeBoer Outdoors
    Twitter: @joelthemuskyman
    Email: joelthemuskyman@charter.net
    715-297-7573

Thanks guys!