www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Is it just me...?

Default Is it just me...?

Man, this musky fishing is TOUGH! I'm a life long fisherman with many considerable personal bests to my credit, both fresh and salt water, but this musky fishing has me stumped. I've been fishing for my second year for them and to date have only boated 3 fish with the largest being just over 33". Not for a lack of trying either as I've put in MANY hours on Cave Run chasing these finicky things. I've done everything you're supposed to do, hired a guide to learn the lake, read all the articles, talked to folks, trying new baits, downsized, upsized, fished "known good areas" and of course put lots of hours in on the water with little to no success. Unfortunately, no one else I know chases musky so I fish by myself about 95% of the time so it's hard to tell if I'm doing something wrong or just not picking my days/spots well. With well over $1300 invested in 3 rods, tackle and baits I'm starting to lose my faith and patience. This is really rare for me as the chase is the best part, but man it's becoming very hard to stay mentally strong after striking out so many times. I hope I'm not coming across as whining, but instead just frustrated. How do you guys keep your "faith" after having hard times or is your success rate that much better? Doing some simple calculations I'm averaging .2 fish per outing and all my days are at least 8 hours long. =(

Musky fishing is by no means easy, it can be trying on your patience and your sanity. Ive spent countless day on the water with no success and begin doubting myself or my approach only to have a musky come up with me not paying attention and screw it up. Dont feel alone this is a humbling sport for everyone, but every now and then you will have a day when things come together and it will all be worth it.

First and foremost when it comes to musky fishing, You HAVE TO LOVE it and even then it can drive you nuts at times. I have been chasing muskies for twenty years and there have been high points and many more low points and unproductive days. I used to fish by myself alot, but due to health issues, I now almost always fish with someone. Musky fishing as Lance stated is really tough. Most of the time you have had a great day just to get one or two follows. Other times you can boat two or three fish in one day. Key for me is to always remember that you started musky fishing for the enjoyment of the sport(at least that is what I tell myself)LOL!!!! I chase muskies because there is no thrill like having one darn near rip the rod out of your hand on the strike at boatside or to just see what looks like a railroad tie coming up behind a Bullldawg on Zilpo Flats at the Cave and finally the "Smell" of musky on your hands after realeasing one back into the Cave after a well deserved catch. We all get frustrated sometimes while chasing muskies, but just hang in there and with time on the water your efforts will be rewarded. Don't be afraid to talk to other musky fisherman. Offer to have others fish with you and many will return the favor, or know of others in your position looking for someone to fish with. Just this past week I fished nearly daylingt to dark for three days on Cave Run with a good buddy of mine and even with a really tough bite, we mangaged to boat a 30 and a 35 incher and a dozen or so Bass from 12 inches up to nearly 6 lbs. The 30 inch musky ate a Sisson Crankbait and the 35 incher and all of the bass came on Rattlebaits. This was a good trip, but many times I have had fishless trips. I run a white, red and silver Alumacraft Navigator 175 with a 150 White Evinrude E-tec with Stars-n-Stripes Decal so if you happen to see me on the Cave, stop and chat as I am always interested in talking muskies. Good luck and keep at it and don't get frustrated. Always remember that everytime you are on the water you always learn something new about musky fishing that will help improve your odds of catching a musky in the future. Good luck and stay at it. You will be rewarded.
    Roger Bullard

Talking

Yep, muskie fishing is a love it or leave it deal fer sure. I personally fished with 25 different people - some more than once - for 3 years running before catching my first muskie. I've got (what some would say, a mere...) 42 of them under my belt now, including 3 46's and my PB so far a 48. Only a few of those were from Cave Run.

For me it's not just about the fish, although they help! I've met some of the finest folks I could possibly know thru muskie fishing, and that would include Tony Grant, Gregg Thomas, Scott Salchli, Charlie Thompson...m

Default stay the course

just keep hammering away. My advice would be find you some creeks and small rivers to fish. As good as the cave can be, its gin clear, in my opinion the fish are really conditioned, super sensitive. Fishing lets say tygart, kinny, little sandy, and licking river will give you a better chance of scoring, and scoring big to. These river fish are usually a little more user friendly. If u insist on lake fishing, especially cave run throw bulldawgs till your arms fly off, and then throw em some more, throw in some grim reaper spinners, but stay the course. It has been in my experience if fishing is tough in the weeds go to the sticks, I think theres a sustantial population of fish that prefer the standing timber and dont get pounded on as much. Pick one creek, scott, buck, or caney and learn it intimately, every nuance, that should help to. Back several years ago I was fishing the cave about three days a week, I picked buck creek and hammered it every trip for hours, you kind of learn the spot on the spot. It paid off with a 50 incher and several of legals, just stay with it it will get better.
    Jason

Thanks everyone for the advice and pats on the back. I haven't been able to chase any toothy guys since my original post, but hope to be back on the water this upcoming weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with musky on the KY River? I believe around Frankfort there is a fishable population. Any one? Bueller?

I agree with everyone else! It IS tough! I've only been Musky fishing for 2 GOOD seasons, meaning truly chasing Musky and I've only boated 4 total. But some of my best days have been on Cave Run. Last September, me and a couple buddies fished a whole weekend of torential downpour, miserable, saoked head to toe and I boated 3 of my 4 Muskies in about 45 minutes! and my buddies missed 3 between them in the same timeframe because they don't listen and refuse to figure 8 on every cast!!!! They pulled the baits right out of thier mouths to the point they were coming up out of the water after them! All of mine were caught on a bait that everyone said they weren't biting on.......a super top-raider!!! Everyone down there said the topwater bite was not happening, but I didn't listen, and it paid off! That same weekend between 3 of us we raised 33 Muskies! My motto for this season, is fish my OWN fish! I'm not going to listen to what everyone else is doing, I'm switching it up. I'm gonna focus on throwing baits the Musky haven't seen in awhile, especially on cave Run. All you hear down there is Bulldogs, Medussa's, Cowgirls.......I'll still throw em' but I'm also gonna throw glide baits, Creepers, different color combinations they haven't seen in awhile, I HOPE it pays off!!!! Just keep with it and you'll be surprised......I'd be willing to Musky fish with anyone who truly wants to spend the time on the water. I have a 21ft Sprint Bass Boat (red) so if you see me stop by and chat too......I'll share "some" info!!!! lmao