www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: ice out prediction

Default ice out prediction

unless something really weird and unexpected/forcasted happens without a doubt it will be one of the earliest ice outs in recent times.
    as of today 3/31 shorelines are opening,black ice everywhere,50-60 degree weather daytime and pluses at night with some rain coming in ,it won't be long.
    it is already open by the docks in myers bay.
    it should be gone by april 15-20 for sure most likely by the 10-12th or even earlier and i bet in some places folks will be fishing out of boats before season closing.

i would not recomend going out on it even though in some places there are 10-14" as it is severly deteriorated/honeycomed and unstable .
    there have been several accidents with tragic endings in the past week or so i have heard about on lowds and either sioux lookout or earfalls.

me,danny,rob manthei,pete maina,cal and guides from camp along with several vets and sponsors where scheduled to film john gillespies last ice fishing segmant of the season as in the past 3-4 yrs at the same time last week of april and we had to call it off,just wasn;t worth the risk and all of us are pretty bold when it comes to first or last ice.we're all bummed as it is a great time for all,we all get to see each other before the hectic open water season starts,closes the winter season, and john always gets a great show.

on a positive note last time we had a real early ice out 5-6 yrs ago which was around mid-3rd week of april and above normal may temps we had one of the best early through june fishing seasons i could remember up to that point. fish were in june patterns by 3rd-4th week of may which is excellent and predictable fishing.
    many have the misconception that ice out spawning and post spawn fishing is the best.hardly. typically spotty and short lived with alot of males.
    give me recouped,feeding fish with water temps in the 60+ range over spawning or on the move post spawn fish ANY DAY.especially when it comes to walleyes plus those same conditions puts the smallies shallow and aggressive,weeds starting to emerge draws in/protects perch and other baitfish as well as walleyes so the pike are cruising shallow,and though water temps on the surface to 10' or so are rising the trout are still catchable relativley shallow 20-30'.
    THIS IS THE SEASON TO COME NORTH MAY/EARLY-MID JUNE.
    because of the past several colder springs everyone has a few openings yet i'm sure,i know we do.
    we have some excellent specials running for remaining availabilty may 22-june 12. give us a call or pop an e-mail for details. you won't be sorry fishing will be excellent.
    steve
    aml
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Default ice out

was out fishing today and had to jump to the ice as it was a couple of feet from shore.hope your ice out prediction is right on steve,kinda leaning towards the 10-12,then we might get a couple of days in the boat.fishing was great today,but pretty scary drilling them holes,the auger went through pretty quick,and by the end as we left the holes had gotten bigger.we had roughly 8" but it looks real puky at the bottom of the ice.had some rain today which turned the top to crap in a hurry,definitly not going back.