www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Timing to Avoid High Water Temps on Webster

Default Timing to Avoid High Water Temps on Webster

Sorry if this question has been asked before...I am new to this board. I want to plan a trip to Webster but want to avoid high water temps to avoid accidentally killing fish.

So, what date range is safe to book a trip and be reasonably assured that water temps will be ok to fish for muskies?

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian!
    That is an important question and a good one to ask, it shows you care about the fishery! It usually depends on the year. Last year the fishing went almost all summer because it never really got that warm. But usually by mid to late June the water temps hit the 80's and that means high mortality can and will become an issue. Those of us that are sensitive to the fishery will back off until late August when water temperatures start cooling off back into the mid to lower 70's. The best thing to do is be prepared fish early and late, take afternoon breaks if mid day temperatures are in mid 80's in June. Even if you plan a trip that can't be cancelled, come and learn more areas and come back in the fall! I try to learn new areas and check out new areas every time I'm out! Even if the fishing sucks! It might pay off later! Hope this helps!

Buddy Ellenburg

Take a kid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!!

good reply Buddy!!!
    I agree its ALL about the BIG picture!!!
    Steve Fiorio

It varies from year to year....some years I have seen 83 degree temps by the first week of June, other years it didn't hit 80+ till late June or even July.

I appreciate your concern for the fishery. If planning a trip I would try and make the cut off as early as you can in June and then probably wait to resume in late August, or sometimes even September.

There are alot of folk that visit this site that will be able to give you accurate current water temps, so whenever you want to know, just ask.
    Mike Hulbert's Musky Guide Service
    E-mail: info@mikehulbert.com
    Web Site: http://www.mikehulbert.com

419-553-6570

Release 'em all