www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Guess I'm the New Guy

Default Guess I'm the New Guy

Hello,

My name is Justin Wheeler, 21 yrs old, and a college student from Mt. Zion. Growing up I was a huge fan of largemouth, but catching some toothy critters up in Wisconsin made me change my thinking. I have never caught a Muskie, but I am pretty pumped for my first encounter. Over the past couple of months I have tried to read as much as I can in order to broaden my knowledge. On 2/10 I started putting my 1,000 casts in with no luck. If anyone would like to share some advice I am always open to suggestions.

Thanks and Good Luck,
    Justin Wheeler

Welcome aboard Justin, glad to have you. We have a lot of talented muskie anglers among our ranks who are more than happy to help newcomers along. I suggest attending our first outing of 2010, scheduled for the 20th at the spillway. There you'll be able to meet several club members and future friends. In the meantime, there are a few of us that can be found pounding the tailwaters of Shelbyville. You'll know a Muskie fisherman when you see one.....come on over and introduce yourself. See you soon

Chris

Hi Justin;

Kevin McGill, here -Membership Director of the LSMC- Welcome to the club. There are several LSMC members in your area. and also the best tackle shop in Central Illinois- Mikes Tackle World. But before you start buying up all the muskie tackle at mikes. Hold off, and talk to the members at one of the meetings or at the Xmas drop this weekend. You find that the smaller baits, in the 5-6-7 inch range may be your best choice. I also make custom bucktails, and will have them for sale at the next meeting, and with Lenny speaking, it should be a great time.

Thank you for the intros. I will be attending the first outing below the spillway on the 20th. Well I am not going to lie, I have already picked up a few lures from Mikes. Looks like I was somewhat on the right track. I just picked up a couple 6" Jakes (superman and tiger), a bag of swim shad, and a Mepps Muskie Killer (Black w/ a silver blade). I'll make sure to talk to some of the guys befor I purchase anything else and i'm excited to see the some of the bucktails you make. Planning on hitting the spillway early tom morning and seeing if I can't get lucky weather pending.

Justin W.