www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Stop the Stocking of Muskies: MN Senate Bill 2942

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

Default Stop the Stocking of Muskies: MN Senate Bill 2942

The credit for getting the word out on this issue again goes to Kevin Cochran. To help raise the awareness, I'm reprinting a post from Kevin's message board here so even more people will be aware of what's going on. Like the spearing issue, it's crucial that everyone make their position known.

I'm sure I speak for muskie fishermen everywhere when I say thank you to Kevin Cochran and everyone else who's paying attention to the state legislature and getting the word out. Thanks Kevin.

Here is the post reprinted from Kevin's message board:

The Darkhouse Association contacted Senator Paul Koering from District 12 and he has slipped a provision in a bill prohibiting muskie stocking in South Long Lake. Not a good move from him or muskie fishermen.

S.F. No. 2942, as introduced - 86th Legislative Session (2009-2010) Posted on Mar 01, 2010

1.1A bill for an act

1.2relating to game and fish; prohibiting muskellunge stocking in South Long Lake;
    1.3amending Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.201.
    1.4BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

1.5 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.201, is amended to read:
    1.697C.201 STATE FISH STOCKING PROHIBITED WITHOUT PUBLIC
    1.7ACCESS.
    1.8(a) The commissioner and state agencies may only stock fish in waters where there
    1.9is public access. The commissioner may stock fish in any stream within privately owned
    1.10lands where the public is granted free access to and use of the stream for fishing purposes.
    1.11(b) The commissioner must not stock muskellunge in South Long Lake in Crow
    1.12Wing County.

Funny thing is a public access is located on the lake. He wants to get the attention of the MN DNR. Unfortunately he is getting alot of bad press from the musky fishermen in Minnesota. E-mail him and tell him that you are not in favor of it.
    Senator Koering's email address:
    sen.paul.koering@senate.mn
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

Here is a modified reprint of some information I provided in the thread about spearing. When contacting House and Senate members, or any official for that matter, it's important to do so properly. Here's a little help:

1) Be respectful - name-calling or an emotional tirade will get you nowhere. Polite and respectful language like Sir and Madam go a long way.
    2) State who you are and why your're writing or calling. Anonymous letters are useless.
    3) Be focused and stick to only one issue. This isn't the time to bitch about how the roads are being plowed, your local taxes, or that fact that your school is under-funded. Limit your discussion to stocking.
    4) Clearly state your position. In this case your position is that you want stocking to continue, uninterrupted, on this lake and all muskie lakes statewide.
    5) Explain your position. This is your chance to present information to support your position. Regarding this piece of legislation, you oppose anything that will limit musky fishing opportunity anywhere in Minnesota. Even if you don't fish this lake, it's worth noting the huge increase in musky fishing my MN anglers and out of state anglers. The increase in fishing pressure is already far-outpacing the states ability to develop new musky waters. Halting the stocking efforts on any lake statewide only makes a bad situation worse. Also note that it's been proven over and over that musky stocking doesn't adversely affect other fish populations. Further, Minnesota has developed a musky resourse that is the envy of other states, and Minnesota therefore benefits from a lot of out-of-state revenue brought here by vacationing musky anglers; Minnesota residents also spend a ton of money on musky fishing.
    6) Clearly state what you want done or provide a recommended action. In this case, you want the stocking to continue uninterrupted. In fact, if any changes are in order, then the stocking should be increased statewide.
    7) A good, old-fashioned letter is more effective than e-mail. From the politician's point of view, if a person must really care to write a letter and put it in the mail. A combination of a phone call and an e-mail is also better than e-mail alone, and doesn't take much more time. Wtite a letter, call, and send an e-mail - show them how inportant this is.

For more information about how to effectively contact a politician, just do a Google search like: "How to write a politician", or something like that. It doesn't really matter if your search result is for writing a senator, congressman, or whatever - the basic principles are the same. Here are a few search results I found that I thought were helpful, take a few minutes to read them:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...s_senator.html

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscong...rscongress.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Lette...States-Senator

Now get going!
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com