Well the game fish season has ended for the Northwoods but that does not mean the fishing is over. Ice is in good shape with some slush forming on some areas of lakes. Mobility is still good and with the warm weather there is no reason not to get out and chase some panfish down.
Crappie have been holding in the 15-30 foot depths generally suspending anywhere in the water column from just below the ice to just off bottom. Crappie minnows and Waxies have been the best with an all day bite going and peaks near sundown and after.
Bluegills have been holding in the same locations as the Crappies on some lakes, but on shallow water basins I have been finding them holding in 15 feet of water or less in and around weeds that are still standing. This will also apply to the Crappies in these shallow lakes. For Gills a Waxie on a small teardrop jig has been getting the bite with all day action being the norm.
Perch have been a little harder to find in a quallity size, but I have been locating them in 20-30 feet of water holding tight to bottom in the mud flats. Wigglers have been my bait of choice but Waxies and Crappie minnows have also been working. Best time has been early and late in the day but action seams to go throughout the day. good luck to all and tight lines.