www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Gps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Gps

Hey guys n gals I'm in the market for a GPS unit. I'm just starting to do some research. I'm looking for some honest opinions. I'm looking for a unit that is versatile. Something good on land lake and roads.

1. What's the best unit out there?

2. What's the best for cost?

3. Is color a must?

4. Best for reception and customer service?

Thanks ahead of time!
    Always better than a good day at work!!

I think color is a must.... There are so many stinkin models out there now its a bit overwelming.. There are touch screen models... I was going to get one but then thought about my fishy hands.. gloves..and carelessness.. you get the point. I have a lowrance h20 i think.. in color and it is very nice to have. I have a ram mount on my atv so its right there on the handle bar which is very helpful on those snowy nights. The lowrance has crazy amounts of back roads already loaded on it.. I go four wheelin out in BFE and the road I'm on will be on there. It does have a bit of a hard time when your under the tree canopy in the summer but works great on on a lake! Price will vary greatly between websites so dont be in a hurry and buy the first one.. My point I guess is color is definetly worth the extra cash (not that much more anyway) Brands are all good that I've seen.

Default Color

I'll second the issue on color. With many of the models out, they have so much information on the screen that the color helps differentiate roads, contours, and streams with no hesitation what so ever. I have a Magellan explorist 600 and love everything about it. I'm sure that you will be happy with any brand you go with, just make sure you look into accessories and data maps before making any decisions.

Smile Gps

Color screen is almost a must to help see detail. If you are looking for a hand held and you have a boat or one may be in your future you may want to think about one where a mapping card is compatible and could be used in both units, boat if you put one in and the hand held. Seeing as mapping cards can run upwards of $100.00 or more its nice to just have to purchase one and use it in either unit.

Default Gps

Personal preference. Lowrance because of Lakemaster and Navionics compatability. Model, well the H2O ya cant go wrong with. The XOG is great in your car talkin at ya and works well with the cards but not as user friendly.
    Also the touch screen on the XOG can be a pain on bright sunny days out on open water. You can find great GPS deals on ebay and craigslist. Also you can get cards cheap too. Lowrance has great customer service from the few experiences I have had with them. Most all new units that take cards are nice. Find one easy to use and you wont leave home without it...

Oh yea, One more thing. Battery life. Touch screens seem to suck the life right out of a battery.. The H2O has great battery life without the backlight on.

The XOG is discontinued and so is the h20 ifinder color....i looked everywhere...even on the lawrance web site for the h20....i did here both units were great, thats why i was looking for them....if i could find a H20 ifinder color i would snag it up ....