Hey guys,
I have a question about tip-ups that I hope someone can help me with. What do you do after the flag goes up? I am getting frustrated because, out of the very few bites that I actually get on tip-ups, I always seem to miss the fish. I usually use a #6 treble hook, is this the kind of hook that most people use for tip-ups and sucker minnows?
I watch other people when they get a bite on a tip-up and they usually do everything short of going to McDonald’s for lunch before they set the hook. In other words, they give the fish lots of time. I try doing this and all that ever happens is the fish drops the minnow. I have also tried setting the hook right away and all I feel is the hook ripping out of the minnow, leaving the fish with a free meal. What do you guys do?
I am stumped on this tip-up thing. I always run two tip-ups and a jigging rod. I am now at 49 keeper walleyes since January 1st, and not a single one of them came from a tip-up. I just don’t know what I am doing wrong with them. I’m glad I can catch fish jigging, because I would be in sad shape if I couldn’t!
Thanks for any help.