www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lake Wingra & Open Water

Smile Lake Wingra & Open Water

I live and work in Racine but used to reside in Madison. There was some construction going on Lake Wingra to install a new dam. Is that construction completed and if so, what is the area like now. There were a couple of nice holes with the old dam for panfish or you could cast a bucktail for Muskie in the Spring.

Is there any open shoreline along Olbrich Park, Squaw or Monona Bay? These areas were considered prime for Crappies in Wisconsin Sportsmen for Spring slabs and I wanted to make a road trip to test their information. Thanks for any assistance.

Default sorry

I feel bad for anyone asking information on this site . I see 96 hits on your questions and no responses . Lock finger i guess. I havent been down by the dam or the other side of town , wish i could help .
    tracker

Are you asking about right now, or after ice out? From a boat or shore? Right now there isn't anything open, come spring there's plenty of open shoreline along Olbrich and Monona Bay. For Squaw Bay, from a long time ago, there's the beach that I've used waders to get out, but there isn't a whole lot of areas there you can fish from shore. There's a couple spots in the lagoons off Squaw Bay you can hit from shore. I don't fish for Crappies so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to them, but I don't recall hearing about people catching big ones at Olbrich. I have fished Starkweather Creek in the spring and caught small gills there, but that was it for panfish.

I haven't been to Wingra so I can't comment on that.

Rick

Thank you for the update. I have to go to Madison next month, so I'll take look at the dam myself. Next year I will have to try ice fishing for them. I'll fish the areas you mentioned on May 3rd. The water temperture for best activity is around 53 degrees according to the article.

The dam at Wingra is complete and it looks very nice! As for the underwater structure; I'm not sure if they changed it much.

As the water warms those bays you mentioned will be the first to lose ice and will provide some good action. There are panfish in these areas mostly all year but you may need to sort and look for the slabs. If your limited to shore fishing, look for the warmest water (the darker the better) and creeks/streams. The University shoreline on Mendota has plety of spots to cast and should provide some action as well. Good luck!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jigginj View Post
    The dam at Wingra is complete and it looks very nice! As for the underwater structure; I'm not sure if they changed it much.

As the water warms those bays you mentioned will be the first to lose ice and will provide some good action. There are panfish in these areas mostly all year but you may need to sort and look for the slabs. If your limited to shore fishing, look for the warmest water (the darker the better) and creeks/streams. The University shoreline on Mendota has plety of spots to cast and should provide some action as well. Good luck!
    Thank you for the update. I'll have to wait until May to try the lake since inland fishing is closed. I may give the Yahara River a look for some white bass.

If you plan on fishing the Yahara River make sure you're not in the fish refuge. Rick