www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: All-purpose reel

Default All-purpose reel

I know it's been asked before. The problem is that there is too much information out there to sort through all of the BS... I'm looking to purchase a new musky reel. I toss 10's about 40% of the time, 8's 20%, and everthing else including big dawgs 40%. I don't have the kind of money to buy 2 rods/reels for every type of fishing, but I can afford to buy one really nice all around reel. So I'm looking for an awesome reel that handle's 10's well, but not one designed just for dragging them. Calcutta TE? I currently have a Daiwa Luna, and I like it a lot, but I'd like to have something different in addition to it.

I was going to say the Luna. I guess you already have it though. If you throw the big blades 40% of the time you might just want to get a cowgirl reel and use the Luna for everything else. There are a ton of reels for Cowgirls but the handle is more important than the reel as far as I'm concerned. Look at the Calcutta TE LJV reel if you don't burn Cowgirls. If you burn them try one of the high speed reels for saltwater. Or, just buy the handle from the LJV and put it on a cheaper reel.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Has anyone ever used the Saltist? I'm thinking of getting the 30 or 20HA levelwind. I just bought a 8'6" okuma extra heavy and would like to give it a good partner.

I've got some buddies that guide in MN and love the reel. They put a lot of tough hours on the reel and it holds up.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

that's a pretty sweet reel for not a bad price!

Google Prices SCOURING the net!

Ty, Who do you recommend for guiding Minnetonka or surrounding area? We did not reserve #6 at Deerfoot because of our experience in Oct. (weather factor, we Love Deerfoot!) We are coming in the Spring when conditions seem great. I'll be praying someone cancels on you when we do come! This site is great! Why aren't you guys/gals playing that picture/location game this year? See you at the St. Paul show!

There you go Bill. The picture shown does not have the levelwind, but it is still a nice looking reel. Paired with your Curado for smaller application, you will be set. Just need some lures, oh wait you bought a few over the winter and we have more than you could though all day everyday for a weekend.

Ty, we strolled by your booth at the Milwaukee show, and both times you were MIA. I bought a double green cowgirl with black and a splash of green tinsel, and also a large Phantom. Not typical spring baits, but if it is warming up and nothing else is producing action, who knows. Let me know if something opens up around the Memorial Day weekend, as my brother and I and maybe saltist Cubbiebill might be up for a long weekend of angling. My brother and I will be up for sure.

Also, if you were to fish another lake for a day in the area, primarily for muskies, which would it be. Lost Land/Teal, Tiger Cat? Callahan? another one not named.

I have been on tiger cat twice and each time caught a nice 29" pike. So good vibes there. LL and Teal are gorgeous and quiet, and although having some hot follows last spring, no hookups. Heard the water warms quick on those lakes due to smaller size and depth.

We will be up for 4 days of fishing, so we were thinking of hopping on another lake for a day for a change of scenery, and/or luck if the chip is slow.

penn 975 is a great reel and built tough

i purchased an avet brand sx 2 speed reel last year. it's like having two reels in one! it will go from 36" plus inches of line per crank to easily burn db 10's if you choose with very little effort and at the press of a button goes into low gear, 20 or so inches of line per crank! it also comes in right or left handed models! it was my first and only manual engaging non-levelwind reel but it took a matter of a dozen or so casts to get used to it. very light weight and has a relatively small side plate diameter, about 2 1/4 or so inches (about the same as my lunas) which makes it pretty easy to palm if you prefer and it's american made!

Paul, go in to or cal Thorne Brothers up in Blaine, MN for a guide over there. I know a few but none that are out there a lot. I'm sure Corey will start up that picture game shortly. Spring is here so Corey gets the itch.

Ryan, any of those lakes you mentioned are good with the exception of Callahan. There isn't much for large fish in Callahan.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Is there any real significant difference between the Calcutta TE and the Calcutta LJV TE? I noticed that the LJV has an adjustable handle length. Is that much of a benefit? Worth an extra $80 on top of already a small fortune?

Default what about an abu?

I have two 5500 c3's and they are great, but i have the same problem. I'm looking for a stronger reel with a high ratio, I've heard that the abu 7000 c3 is a great reel for throwing those 10's or 8's and burning those cowgirls. Would any one recommend that reel?

Quote Originally Posted by danimalw View Post
    Is there any real significant difference between the Calcutta TE and the Calcutta LJV TE? I noticed that the LJV has an adjustable handle length. Is that much of a benefit? Worth an extra $80 on top of already a small fortune?
    Calcutta TE 400 LJV Baitcasting Reel Features
    Cold Forged Aluminum Frame
    Stamped Aluminum Handle-Side Sideplate
    Cold Forged Aluminum Non-Handle-Side Sideplate
    Machined Aluminum Spool
    High Efficiency Gearing (HEG)
    Drilled Top Crossbar
    Adjustable Handle Shank for Super Slow Retrieves and Power
    Ergonomic Handle Grip
    S A-RB (Shielded A-RB Ball Bearings)
    A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings) Roller Bearing
    Recessed Reel Foot
    CTE Clicker
    Super Stopper Anti-Reverse
    Assist Stopper Back-up Anti-Reverse
    Easy Access Sideplate
    Rubber Handle Grip
    Titanium Levelwind Insert
    Dartainium Drag
    Non-Disengaging Level Wind System
    Variable Brake System (VBS)

400 LJV

Looks like they have the same gear ratio but the LJV has 2 extra ball bearings and the fancy handle...which may may not be worth the extra $70-$80

Calcutta 400 TE
    Clicky Click Click

My personal review...

If you plan on throwing Cowgirls this summer, pick up that crank handle! It is an absolute no-brainer...you can reel in cowgirls with ease, and you can really adjust the speed of the bait without exerting a lot of energy. I slow rolled and burned cowgirls for a good 4 hours without getting "the claw!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
    I have two 5500 c3's and they are great, but i have the same problem. I'm looking for a stronger reel with a high ratio, I've heard that the abu 7000 c3 is a great reel for throwing those 10's or 8's and burning those cowgirls. Would any one recommend that reel?

I have not used the Abu 7000 but i did find some reviews from anglers online...

Check'm out here!

Thanks, I've just got to make sure the reel is good enough to throw bid bladed luers before I spend $160 on a reel but so far it's looking like a good reel.

The Calcutta TE and the Calcutta TE LJV are extremely different in how they perform. It's mainly the handle though like Snizz said. If you can find a cheaper reel to put the LJV handle on then just do that. You can order the handle for around 35 dollars directly from Shimano. Night and day difference. I have clients that can now use Cowgirls where before they couldn't stand to.

Before you buy the 7000 realize that you better have very large hands to hold the reel. It's a monster.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

I've got a 7000 I'd sell pretty cheap. It works just like they said, great for big blades, but it's just too big for me.