www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: New Abu Garcia toro winch 60

Default New Abu Garcia toro winch 60

Ty,

I was wondering what your or anyone elses thought is on the new low profile high speed reel that is suppose to be made for pulling the big tens? Do you burn bucktails on the Chip or do you usually do a medium retreive?

We don't usually burn bucktails on the Chip but I have heard a lot of good things about the Revo's. I've heard that they hold up well and cast well. I'm not sure on how well they work for burning in big bucktails.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Hey Rafren:

Used both the Revo Toro 60 and the winch model while fishing in Canada the past two years. At the time both were prototypes and were having all the kinks worked out of them. Now their available and have been heavily tested throughout an entire season by guides who throw them eight hours a day for five months during the year.

The Revo 60 is sweet...but the Revo 60 Winch is incredible. You can burn in
    #10 cowgirls like your reeling in a ghosttail. Couldn't believe how my hands and wrist felt after throwing those beasts for a solid week.

Little bit pricey but well worth the money. Hope this helps.

Chuck

Default Abu Garcia

I'm not sure about this model but I personally have stopped using Abu Garcia Reels. The past three I have bought from Abu Garcia have not withstood even a couple months of musky fishing. The main problem being engaging after casting the lure. Sometimes I make 3-4 full cranks before they engage and it's happend on 3 different reels. I actually got rid of my last three abu garcia and put on there old models without a thumb bar which have lasted for years. I'm not very knowledgable with reels, I have no idea what internally wears on them so quickly but unless I hear some amazing reviews for a new Abu Garcia Reel, I'll never purchase one again, at least for musky fishing.

I think Abu garcias are really good training reels...they are cheap and hold up well (for the most part). I used and abu garcia for 2 seasons before springing for my golden reel...but watching friends throw a bait caster for the 1st time, and listening to the gears grind and explode...LOL that's funny stuff right there...if you bring friends up who dont fish I highly recommend a $50 Abu garcia.

I just sent in my Calcutta for the 2nd time for reconditioning, and I am making it a practice now to send it in every off-season even if it sounds fine and runs smooth. I would rather pay $30 dollars now, then find out on my 1st cast, that something is malfunctioning

"I've got a fever, and the only cure...is getting back out on the water!"

Thanks everyone for the info. My fear is spending the money on this reel and it not be as I good thought it would be. What about he Diawa Saltist reel for the big tens?

Default revo Winch

rafren,
    I will be using the winches this year myself for the first time and look forward to it. I have had good luck with the Garcia's in the past. After talking with a couple of well know guides. If you are looking to BURN dbl 10's then you might might want to look at a Diawa Saltist ot Shimano Trinadad as the line pickup between each of then greatly differs which in turn help with the speed. Here is something that I do like about the Revo series reel is that the handles themselves is made of stainless steel which if you drop your rod or step on it the handle itself is more durable to handle it. I mention that only from personal experience. Good luck fishing this year and what ever reel you decide it will be because of your preference and you will enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

What is the advantage of the winch model over the regular toro (other than $70 less). They both come in the a 5.4:1 gear ratio. The winch has more bearings, put there are plenty of people out there that would say more doesn't always mean better (Calcutta TEs only have 4 + 1). I would really like a low profile reel because my wrist that palms my reel is usually what hurts when fishing double 10s. To me, it seems like the greater line capacity of the regular toros might make it more attractive to me. Any thoughts?

Good question Paul. Not sure on this end.

I found the same thing when buying Spinning reels for walleye. The two reels I looked at were exactly the same except for a couple ounces in weight difference. Sometimes there really isn't much of a difference from one to another but it's more of an advertising tool for companies.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Default Winch

The Winch reel I have is 4.6 gears.

Paul, if you want to throw 10's you'll want to look at the newer Revo Toro Winch, which is I think 4.6:1. The Revo Toro 60 is 5.4:1 and is okay for slow rolling, but I still think it's more work than other reels. You don't want the regular Revo Winch that's been out for two years.

It appears I wasn't looking around enough until hanson's post. That gear ratio would indeed make a big difference. It also looks like there is no longer a difference in line capacity. Price either for that matter.