www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Trapping minnows in the winter

Default Trapping minnows in the winter

if anyone could give me any tips or tricks for trapping my own bait this time of year would be helpfull been tring for a few days now and nothing has been in them just looking to get some bigger bait then what i can get down at pages or whatever its called now everything they have is small 3-4 inches looking for something a little bigger thanks

Well, Mr. Streich, i would probably tell you to talk to your cousin, the KING of trapping BIG bait. Actually i think it is all about if you have a good hole or not. I use cat food rolled up in a ball of bread. It is tough this time of year now that the streams are froze up, but it still can be done, just more work.

I had good luck trapping late-Fall bait behind Midtown Motors. As for winter stuff, I used to buy mine in Kennedy NY. Great, fresh suckers there but the max size is about 6 inches.

Nellie's Bait Pond is the name of it. They have a website as well.....Just google it.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Default Big Bait

I can understand your frustration. I trap bait for myself and all my fishing partners because they are having the same problem. Paying a dollar or more for one minnow is out of the question for me. I find a good spring that leads to, or is close to a big creek. The bait seems to hold good during the winter and it wont freeze. I live in the Akeley Swamp so I have several to choose from. As far as small creeks go I don't even try. Another thing I do is build a good bait tank in the spring so the bait is always handy. Try to stay out of the trout approved waters, they frown on that! Good luck!

Chris i have tried every hole behind my house and even some of the ones by ur parents and nothing think i might try to find some holes in the river by some big rocks or in the brush idk im just sick of payin for 3 dozen minnows and 3 hours into the day most are dead and they are so small but if you got a good spot tell me about it we are family and everything help out ur best cousin thanks

Are you looking for Darters or just regular creek chubs, etc.?
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Talking

Brian, most of the time this time of year the only days you will have bait in your trap is on a warmer day when we get a little thaw. One tip, if you know of any business around that has discharge water coming out and into a steam you will find bait. Cant reveal my honey holes, you know that!!!!