www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Spearing Ban

Default Spearing Ban

Just curious if you are aware of some of this information Brian.

This was ran in the Cass Lake Times newspaper recently:

City supports repeal of icehouse spearing ban
    Written by HILLARY BARRON
    It’s been approximately 20 years since the ban of icehouse spearing on Cass Lake went into affect. Now, area business owners and residents are fighting to repeal that ban in an effort to help boost the local economy.

In 1988, the company Muskie International led the campaign to ban spear fishing due to the endangerment of muskie populations within the Cass Lake water system. Through extensive lobbying at the State Capitol, the ban was supported and passed by Minnesota politicians.

Area business owners, residents and organizations such as the Cass Lake Initiative for Spearing (CLIFS), are trying to lift the ban in the same way it was passed and have started by approaching local governments for letters of support. The city of Cass Lake was one of the local governmental entities that was approached.

At its January meeting, the Cass Lake city council moved to draft a letter of support regarding the issue.

Following is the letter of support submitted to CLIFS to be used for its lobbying efforts at the State Capitol:

The Cass Lake City Council discussed the issue of the Icehouse Spearing Restriction on Cass Lake in Northern Minnesota.

The City Council requests that you accept this letter as “support” for the re-opening of icehouse spearing on Cass Lake.

We believe that this action will not adversely affect the indigenous fish populations on Cass Lake and would actually be beneficial to the entire area.

As you know, the Cass Lake area relies heavily on tourism to support its local economy. Allowing spearing on Cass Lake would help the local economy by increased fishermen purchasing gas, food and lodging in the area, in addition to experience the beautiful winter scenery the Cass Lake area has to offer.

We would ask that you consider passing legislation to re-open icehouse spearing on Cass Lake.

“This is something we need for the area,” said Councilor Rick Haaland. “It has the potential to bring in a lot of money to local businesses and our town needs that.”

This was also ran in the Cass Lake Times recently:

Cass Lake Chamber issues official statement on spear fishing ban
    Written by ALLAN OLSON
    While the Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce met last week with a full agenda to discuss, including its two winter activities, members also spent some time discussing its stand on lifting the ban on spear fishing on Cass Lake.

The discussion was held during the meeting on whether the chamber should actively support the organization, Cass Lake Initiative For Spearing (CLIFS), that is heading up the process on lifting the ban. Spearing has been closed on Cass Lake since 1988 due largely to a Muskie International campaign to ban spear fishing on Cass because the muskie population was in danger.

The chamber has been flooded with phone calls and emails, mostly against spearing.

The chamber stance on the debate is that it is not in charge of the drive to re-open spearing and neither is it against it.

The chamber board also stated that it is supportive of anything positive that creates and/or develops economic growth in the area.

Virkus along with other board members have prepared the following official statement regarding spearing.

The Cass Lake Area Chamber of Commerce is an association of business persons and merchants who work together to promote the prosperity and attractiveness of the greater area by representation of its citizens and business community.

Currently they are an organization of 100-plus businesses in the Cass Lake area. The objective of the Chamber is to promote these organizations in order to bring economic growth to the area.

The Chamber cannot lift the ban on spear fishing. This is a legislative issue which must be undertaken by our politicians in the Minnesota House and Senate. The Chamber, itself, does not support lifting the ban of spear fishing on Cass Lake nor does it support retaining the ban of spear fishing on Cass Lake. The individual members of the organization have a right to their own opinion regarding the lifting of the ban on spear fishing.

Furthermore, the Chamber is not affiliated with CLIFS. This is an organization formed by area residents promoting to lift the ban of spear fishing on Cass Lake.

Cass Lake chamber member, The Cass Lake Times, has posted a poll on its Web site. To make your opinion known go to casslaketimes.com.

There will be a meeting at the American Legion in Cass Lake on February 23rd at 7:00 pm. I would encourage everyone that has an opinion on this to show up if you're able to.

No matter what your opinion is on this, the fact that they are willing to backdoor the DNR on this and go straight to the legislature is the wrong way to go about it and not the way we should ever want to manage our fisheries.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

Thumbs down Spearing on Cass

Sackett,
    I am very aware of what is going on and amazed at what people come up with these days. Many of my clients stay at Break on the Lake and shop at Froggy's...apparently these two businesses feel that spear fisherman will bring them more money than folks looking to catch big pike on rod a reel.
    If you are a fan of catching big pike on Cass Lake you may want to watch where you spend your vacation money. I will no longer be spending my hard earned money at any place of business that is a member of CLIFS (Cass lake initiative for spearing)

Time for folks to find out who really has the natural resources best interest in mind!
    First Choice Guide Service
    Brian Jones
    Web Site: http://www.fishingcasslake.com
    612-730-9620

Good post-reply Brian....I agree to support businesses with similar interests in conservation / fisheries mgmt in mind.

You know what opinions are like, right?

Did you look at the poll on the Cass Lake Times??? What a pile of dung, it had 9 votes at most this morning for YES and now it has 6508. Somebody is trying awful hard to get this thru with dirty deeds. That website cant possibly get hit 6000 times in a week and maybe not even a month or more. A broken nose or two would suit some people pretty well.

Contacts that are important
    Contact information:

House Committee Chair David Dill: 651-296-2190 rep.david.dill@house.mn
    Vice Chair Brita Sailer: 651-296-4265 rep.brita.sailer@house.mn
    Tony Cornish: 651-296-4240 rep.tony.cornish@house.mn
    Also the Cass area rep John Persell: 651-296-5516 rep.john.persell@house.mn
    Senate Chair Senator Satveer S. Chaudhary: 651.296.4334 sen.satveer.chaudhary@senate.mn
    Wrote the Bill Senator Mary A. Olson: 651.296.4913 sen.mary.olson@senate.mn

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

Default The list

Kevin,

Please do, send me the list asap. I wish there was more I could do to fight this crap...politics blow...also, is there any reason not to post this list on our boards for all our paying clients to see?

Thank you for the info,
    Brian Jones
    612-730-9620

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

I'd be very interested in seeing that list and think it would be a good idea to let everyone know by posting it at the appropriate message boards. The contact list provided by AHW was very helpful and I'll be sending an e-mail to let them know how I feel about the lifting or alteration of spearing bans statewide. This issue is affecting lakes in your neck of the woods, not mine, but we all have help muskies everywhere, and this thing could spread like a bad cold and eventually affect the lakes I fish.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Thank you for the support Paul. Just keep in mind this is about protecting the tophy pike of Cass Lake. The musky will be fine...the pike will be raped if the ban is lifted. I fish lakes all the time that spearing is practiced on for musky and the fishing is good for musky and horrid for big pike.
    Brian Jones
    612-730-9620

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

I agree. There are huge pike in the water I fish, but they're low density. I don't target them, but when a big pike is caught it's a nice bonus and helps add excitement to what may have been a slow day. I'd hate to see those big pike overharvested by the harpooners. Still, it's hard to believe that a musky isn't speared from time to time, intentionally or accidentally, and the thought of a musky shaking on the end of a spear makes me sick. Bottom line: there's more than one reason to oppose this.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Hi all. I'm not a real intelligent guy, Brian can attest to that! If the Cass Lake City Council is looking to improve tourism, they should work the the DNR, the local resort owners, and the area guides to get idea's to IMPROVE the fishery, instead of distroy it!
    This proposal is one of those things that make you scratch your head go , Huh? As an IN resdident, I have been fishing Cass Lake for 38 yrs! (Wow I'm getting old!) Whether this proposal passes or not, I will continue to fish Cass Lake. I am the exception though! I own my own place! For the resort owners and guides, whose livlihood depends on a Top-Notch fishery, they are screwed!
    If I were looking to book a vacation, and I went on-line to research a potential vacation spot, I would want to know if spearing were allowed! As a multi-species fisherman, I want the most opportunity to catch a big fish! Just makes absolutely ZERO sense!

I've said my two-cents!

On a side note, I have never spent a ton of money at Froggy's, but rest assured, I have spent my LAST money at that place! As for Break on the Lake, if you're looking to book a place, there are other options!

Todd Mackall

If you are a fan of catching big pike on Cass Lake you may want to watch where you spend your vacation money. I will no longer be spending my hard earned money at any place of business that is a member of CLIFS (Cass lake initiative for spearing)
    Over the last 10 years or so Iv'e been going to WI and MN to fish Muskies. This year will be my 4th trip to Cass and the state of MN in the last 5 years. Fished Leech for 08. I have my reservations made for BOTL for the 4th of July weekend and I am totally against this. As or right now I am to far in this upcoming trip with planning to back out and wish I would have read this earlier, but anythings possible. I'm gonna keep my eye on this over the following year and see what happens. Next year I will see whats going on and see if I drop a couple thousand dollars into Cass Lakes local economy or take it somewhere else.
    Thanks and keep up the good fight. (The Musky Gods are Frowning)