www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Icegator reviews?

Default Icegator reviews?

I am looking into an icegator (8" attacker model) and was wondering if anyone has put them up to true UP ice conditions??

Downstate folks all seem to rave with very few complaints, but I am wondering if anyone has put them to the test up there with the colder night time lows and much thicker ice on average?

Any first hand knowledge on how they do or compare to traditional gas augers would be very cool.

thanks!

Default old fashioned

I'll take the gas and oil myself.... Would be ok this year with the lack of ice but on normal years I don't know how many holes you'd get on a charge with 24" of ice per hole... haha.. I can cut over 100 holes on a tank with my 10 inch strike master. (a tank is about an 1/6 of a gallon)

Smile ice gator

I have had one now for the second ice season.
    I would never ever think twice about even using someone Else's gas unit.
    this unit will drill 90 holes on one charge with an 8 inch auger. 8-12 inches of ice. and the noise level doesn't wake the people still in bed on shore.
    ill bet anyone that uses one for one weekend will buy one.
    I let a friend use mine one day and on the the third hole he hollered sh?t.
    I asked what happened he stated I gotta have one of these. and he went home and ordered his.
    guys they are great!

Talking Not Bad

See a guy on the ice with one not bad. But whene I go out fishing I like to get the job done now. That's why I use the Gas. Walleye Quinn...

Talking Ice Auger Review

I don't know about the IceGator but my StrikeMaster 8" Electric sure does the job for me. Easily does 30-40 holes through 12-18" on a charge. I like the fact that I can plug it into the 4 wheeler to use and save the battery charge life. I add a dc converter and can charge through the truck/wheeler cigarette lighter while I fish.

Question Icegator question

Quote Originally Posted by needham View Post
    I have had one now for the second ice season.
    I would never ever think twice about even using someone Else's gas unit.
    this unit will drill 90 holes on one charge with an 8 inch auger. 8-12 inches of ice. and the noise level doesn't wake the people still in bed on shore.
    ill bet anyone that uses one for one weekend will buy one.
    I let a friend use mine one day and on the the third hole he hollered sh?t.
    I asked what happened he stated I gotta have one of these. and he went home and ordered his.
    guys they are great!
    From what I understand can't you also reverse the rotation of the bit once you drill your hole and flush the slush in the hole under the ice? Also can you use drills from Strike Master or Jiffy? Because Jiffy is counterclockwise rotation and Strike Master is clockwise rotation if they fit it wouldn't matter whose bit you used if rotation is reverseable and they fit or could be adapted.

Smile augers for the gator

Yes the ice gator reverse's. I dont see why you cant use any auger. it comes with an adapter. I believe you can use any auger. and once this unit sets and gets cold I don't have any problem starting it. gas units are on their way out with this new technology.

for you fishermen that have not seen this unit you must watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3MGSX2tQc

I believe that video is from last years model too, the new ones are a little better. Mine has a sealed battery case, which better protects from cold
    to -30, a little higher RPM, and a charging port on top uf the unit. I come in, lay the auger down on a rack, and plug the charger into the top of it. You don't have to take anything apart, just plug it in. Last week I drilled about 50 holes through 8" of ice, the unit never slowed down and when I got home it took about 1 hour to fully recharge. Now, I realize that 8" is like July ice for you guys but before I bought mine I talked to guys in MI and MN that had these units and said no problem. I travel north to fish often and wanted to know, like you, this unit would hold up and I believe it will. Wish I wasn't so freakin busy I would take a ride up there for a beer and a fish and let you spend a day punching holes with mine.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by needham View Post
    Yes the ice gator reverse's. I dont see why you cant use any auger. it comes with an adapter. I believe you can use any auger. and once this unit sets and gets cold I don't have any problem starting it. gas units are on their way out with this new technology.

for you fishermen that have not seen this unit you must watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3MGSX2tQc
    After I posted my questions on this website I went to Iceshanty.com as ice gator is a sponser of that site and then to icegator's home page from there icegator only recommends a bit up to 8" any bit larger than that will void the warranty. But in most situations 8" should be plenty and at their site you could get bit adaptors for most hand augers made also I didn't notice if they had power auger bit adaptors listed. NOTE; they look to be sold out at this time on their website www.icegator.com

Default thanks

Thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated!