www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Any suggestions?

Default Any suggestions?

Hello all,
    I recently started ice fishing after a 20 year hietus. My 10 year old son has wanted to go for the last couple of years. I had kept my old gear around so we dusted it off and headed out to the TFF. We are new to the Mercer area. Having fished mainly in the madison and Oneida County areas, I didn't have a clue as to where to go so we went off of Fishermans Landing. We don't have a truck, ATV snowmobile ect so we have to haul our gear on the portable shanty. So far I am 0-4 trips in getting him a flag. I caught one eye while packing up. The flag didn't even pop and I released it. Today he told me he can't wait until the ice melts. While this is good news for the wife letting me fish this summer, its a bummer that he isn't looking foward to flags anymore. He really wants to catch a walleye through the ice but at this point I would take any flags. I am wondering if anyone would offer up some action spots for us. Were not looking to take over your walleye hot hole or catch your hog, just need some flags to award his patience. If you are willing to help us out, please remember we have to walk in and are fishing only with tip-ups in the Mercer area.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jay

Talking Get that boy some fish

Try 2-6'. Look on the hot spots map for stumpy area. 4 inch suckers seem to be the best right now over shiners. The bite is just before dark to a half hour after dark. Drop us a line and maybe we could meet you out there and give you some areas to try out. We are not experts and can't always make the fish bite. We will try to get you and your son on to some fish. Seeing a kid catch a fish is the best.

We would love that. I know if he catches his first through the ice he will be hooked. We can be there at anytime on Saturday. Let me know and thanks for responding!

Default After school is the best time.

If you can be set up by 4:30 you can sit for two hours and have the best chance of catching him an eye and not make him sit there two long. Right at dark is the best time.

He sits great. Lasts longer than I do. I just can't seem to find him fish. We fished Pike Lake this weekend. Caught one Mudpuppy. He didn't want to go in, even through the blizzard today. Thinking about trying Tank or Third Black Lake, or Trude. They seem to have easy access off of boat landings that we can walk to. There either isn't any action spots around Mercer or noone wants to give up their spots which I understand.

email me your contact info and well give you some ideas

You can email me at adyhr@centurytel.net I really appreciate the help. He is still talking about the mudpuppy so that was a good thing afterall. He had asked me what was the wierdest thing I ever caught and I told him I had caught a rubberband and a mudpuppy before. Now he got to see one for himself. Thanks again.
    Jay