www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Leader recommendation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There's a reason that the only fluoro leader I offer at Musky Tackle Online is Stealth. First and foremost, they're the best fluoro leader on the market. But just as importantly, fluoro leaders can vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. Your leader is one of the most critical parts of that link between you and the fish. Using high quality leaders is extremely important. Whether it's store bought or self made, use top quality components and don't skimp because it might save you a few cents or a dollar. I just don't think it's worth it when it comes to fluoro leaders, and it's the reason I don't sell any other brand but Stealth. There's no other leader that I have more confidence in.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

I have one more bit of information to share that I picked up last weekend at the Milwaukee Muskie Expo. I stopped by the Stealth booth to pick up some leaders and had the opportunity to chat awhile with John Bette. He shared some information about changes that are taking place in the fluorocarbon industry. Changes are taking place similar to the changes that regular monofilament went through 10-20 years ago. The polymer chemists that create the raw material used to make the leader material are changing the formulation to optimize it's properties. According to John, the fluoro is getting stronger and the line is then of slightly smaller diameter to produce a similar pound-test. While maintaining a similar break-strength at a smaller diameter might sound like a good thing, reducing the diameter will lessen the abrasion resistance. So, a gain in one property probably comes at the cost of another. Abrasion resistance is the most important consideration in a leader application since it's abrasion resistance, not break-strength, that protects against the cutting and scraping action of a musky's teeth. For that reason, John recommends considering moving up on break strength. His reasoning makes sense - move up on strength to get a leader that's the same diameter that you're accostomed to, and the extra strength is a bonus. I was using 130#, but based on John's advice I'll be using 150# this season.
    Last edited by Paul Schlagel; 02-15-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: stupid typo
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com