www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Product Review - Okuma 9'3" XH

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

Default Product Review - Okuma 9'3" XH

Here's another tackle review. I'll continue posting my impression of new gear when I can to help pass the off-season. This posting this one on the Okuma 9'3" XH rod because I've received a few e-mails in the last few weeks asking about Okuma rods. The latest e-mail was from a guy who'd seen the review I posted last August after I'd used the Heavy model, and he was wondering if I'd used any of the others and wanted my impression.

Like the August review I posted, I'll begin with a little background. All the rods in my boat are Thorne Brothers custom rods that were built on St. Croix Avid and Legend blanks. I like the Avid action for a good all-purpose rod. The tip is soft enough to load easily in the cast and also provide forgiveness when playing a fish, yet there’s enough backbone to throw big baits or put a lot of pressure on a fish, when needed. I use long rods, the longer the better. I haven’t thrown with a rod under 9 feet for about three years. I like a long handle that's around 16-17" for the added leverage you get when casting and during the figure-8. The price on these rods range from $350-425 apiece.

When Okuma came out with these telescoping rods I literally laughed. I thought a telescoping rod would be quickly reduced to a shattered and tangled pile of graphite fiber from the abuse that musky fishing can dish out on a rod. Well, I was wrong. After a fellow guide friend of mine used a bunch of Okumas for a season, without any problems, I was surprised by the durability. My friend seems to break a lot of his stuff, and guests can be rough on gear too, yet he didn't have any problems. I borrowed a rod from him and threw with it for a few days and liked it quite a bit. That was a year or two ago when Okuma's longest rod was 8'6"

Last August I got a 9'3" H and liked it better than the 8'6". The action and castability of the rod were similar to the 8'6", but with all the benefits of another nine inches. The extra length makes casting even easier. Even better, the length helps everyone, from expert to novice, carve out the biggest, widest, smoothest figure-8s possible. I had quite a few guys fish with me at the end of the summer, then return for a fall trip, and they were fishing with a new Okuma. That probably says quite a bit.

At the end of the season I got another Okuma, this time the 9'3" XH and liked it even better. I fish a lot of big blades and big plastic and I thing the XH is a better choice for those lures. The 9'3" H is a great all-around rod for small and medium and even medium-heavy lures. However, if you throw a lot of double-10s and double-13s and big plastics like Mo Joes or Mag Dawgs, then the XH is the way to go.

There's also an 8'6" XXH which I was asked to comment on, but I haven't used that rod. I'd definitely go for the extra length and get the 9'3" H or XH. I'd only get the 8'6" XXH if it could throw a Pounder and you were looking for a Pounder rod, otherwise I'd recommend the longer models. Heck, if they made a 10 footer, I'd be the first one to give it a try.

As I mentioned in the review posted in August, a unique feature of the rod is that it telescopes, similar to a bass flippin’ stick, so it is easy to store. According to information I've seen posted on some of the big message boards, the rods collapse down to 7 ½ feet. I can't verify that since I haven't yet put a tape measure next to one, and don't feel like getting off my butt to do it right now. This is nice for people who put their rods in rod lockers. Many who haven’t yet joined the trend toward longer rods have avoided 9 footers because they like to have their rods in lockers. These will fit in just about anyone’s locker, so there's no excuses left for getting with the times and getting a long rod.

The price on these rods is only $119.99. That price will make it tough to ever spend $350+ for a rod again.

For years I recommended the Shimano Compre when asked for my recommendation in the reasonably-priced rod category ($100-$150), when folks wanted a good rod that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. The Compre 8’0” XH is still a good rod, but Shimano needs to catch up to the rest of rod builders and start offering a long rod. Long rods are the way to go. Period. Shimano is long over-due to update their Compre line.

There's been a lot of other recent entries into the reasonably-priced category, such as the rods from Hulbert, Tackle Industries, Hamernick, etc. I haven't used those rods and can't comment.

My strong recommendation goes to the Okuma 8’6” or 9’3” rods.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Whew! I didn't realize how long-winded I was getting until I posted. Yes, I'm bored; yes, I need something musky-related during the off-season; and yes, I'd rather be fishing than typing long, rambling posts.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Geez you must be bored that was like a magazine article. Just Kidding.
    I got the 8-6 XH and really like it. It surprised me how much better 6 more inches was compared to my 8ft Shimano. I wish I had an even longer one. The rod collapsing into the handle wasn't a big deal for me when I got the ride but I do like that benefit anyway to fit the rod in the back of my short box truck without sticking out. Paul just kidding about the long post keep them coming we all need message boards stuff to read during the winter.

Thanks for updating your posts on the Okuma rods. Since I need a new rod and an in the process of determining which rod would be the best, its nice to get some reviews from a trusted source.

I was thinking about going for the 8'6"XXH but since the 9'3" is rated to the same 16oz, I might as well go for the longer rod so I can figure 8 those monster fish on ML. Can't wait to get it, but might wait until the Expo this spring to pick it up.

I'll be going to the road rules seminar so maybe they will have some on hand to check out. Can't wait to go to the seminars this weekend as the winter is dragging on. Thanks again for the info Paul. Stay busy booking new trips this upcoming season!

what type of warranty does okuma offer? shimano has the lifetime replacement deal where you take it back to the seller and they'll give you a new one (i think).

I didn't know anything about their warranty, but I did a little checking and found out. There wasn't any information on the Okuma website. I shot an e-mail to Mark Rogers from Okuma, he's active on MuskieFirst and is always answering questions there, so it wasn't hard to track him down. According to Mark, if a rod breaks you send $14.95 to Okuma Customer Service and they send you a new rod. You also have to send a small piece of the broken rod that has the model number on it. That sounded wierd at first but after thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. I suppose you have to send them something that proves that you actually have a broken rod, otherwise everyone would just send $14.95 for a rod.

I think the Shimano warranty is handled by the retailer so you can get a rod right on the spot, assuming they have the same model that you broke. At least that's how I thought it worked. The Okuma warranty isn't quite as convenient, but it's still pretty damn good. Far more important than the warranty, though, is the fact that the Okuma rod is about ten times better. I'd still strongly recommend the Okuma even if it didn't have a warranty.

I don't have any sponsorship deal with Okuma, so this is a pretty unbiased review. Further, I'm definitely not anti-Shimano. Those who have fished with me know all my reels are Calcutta TEs and Trinidads. I think it speaks highly of the Okuma rods if I'll put a $350 reel on it!
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

"..so this is a pretty unbiased review."

You mean not like the Simms ones?

Have you used any Okuma reels?

I've heard good and bad. The Garcia stuff doesn't last so itd be nice if there was anything in that price range that didn't break right away.

I have an Okuma trolling reel, which is working pretty well for me. I haven't used any of their casting reels. A good friend who also guides has a couple Indurons and hasn't had any problems with them. I heard about an problem that affected a production run or recent Indurons, but those have either been sold or were contained by Okuma. I can't remember what the problem was, anti-reverse or something. Anyway, that problem should be taken care of. My has put quite a few hours on his and they're doing fine. The Induron would be best suited for an all-purpose reel and probably wouldn't be the preferred choice for extended use of hard-pulling baits. I think the Induron is being replaced by the Akena. I'd suggest trying a Red Isis.

"...You mean not like the Simms ones?"

Uh, ya. Is it so wrong to love a rain jacket?
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

I've used the Okuma warranty a couple times and they seem somewhat quick for Califorina. Usually a 2 week turnaround. Not the fastest but for $15 for a new rod, not bad. Lifetime as far as I know. They haven't asked me any questions and this time they have apparently sent me a new 8'6 XXH on request instead of getting another 7'4 H so I'm happy about that!! No extra charge either, bonus.

I haven't used their reels but from what I tested at the store the telescopic XXH should be good for big blades. Hope this helps.