www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tarpon Fishing

Default Tarpon Fishing

When is the best time of the year when the weather is great and the tarpon are biting to go up to your lodge.Let me know

I recently returned from my second trip to RCL. I was there in September, the tarpon average seemed bigger (close to 120 lb average) and we were able to go outside the river mouth to fish for them. I went back in January and was not able to get outside, so we fished the river mouth. The tarpon averaged about 100-110 lbs. I would recommend September-October, or April-May. There is also great snook fishing. Actually, I would recommend anytime, the fishing is great, the staff is outstanding, and you won't be loosing any weight at the table! I'm already planning my next trip.

In September I would use a 14 weight. The chances are good that you will be fishing outside in deeper water. I use a .034 running line and carry several shooting heads in 500 - 1100 grains, with sink rates of 6-10 ips. This isn't the sight casting of the Florida Keys. The fish will be down most of the time. I use 100 lb to 130 lb shock tippets. As far as flies go, Whistler style and Deceiver styles on 6/0 hooks in Black/Red; Purple/Red; White/Red; and Chartruese/Yellow. A good rain suit, light weight pants, shirts, sun screen, bug repellent, wide brim hat and polarized sun glasses. The laundry service is very good and quick. Put things out in the morning and they are back by lunch. I'm looking to go back in September or October, maybe I'll see you there. Ask for Wendell or Omar to be your guide. They have the most experience with flyrodders and are both great!
    Last edited by Rick Murphy; 02-25-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Hello,

Mid august and end of September is best time and also best weather to go tarpon...

Thanks,
    http://www.waterton.ca/Water%20Activities.cfm