www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Abu reel repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Guys! I'll be on the phone this weekend!

Tony

Default drag washers shot

it sounds like your drag washers are worn out. they are most likely felt which becomes permanantly compressed over time (this is why its reccommended to loosen the drag when not in use.)

I would HIGHLY reccommend the Carbontex washers-they are amazing. do NOT use the stock ones again, or you're asking for the same problems again. these are a common upgrade and readily available online. these have a higher holding power and infinitely better progression than felt. there are also Extreme Smoothies (exceptional progression for say walleye) but Carbontex have a higher holding power with still excellent progression.

that said, its a very simple repair/upgrade you can do yourself if so inclined (i did mine quite easily with never having opened a round reel). first one might take up to 45 minutes but 15-20 minutes once you gain confidence through that first one. a few people have have step by step pics and instructions online: search for Carbontex drag washer upgrade procedure (or similar). PM me if you have trouble finding them or have Qs.
    Last edited by NitroMusky; 01-24-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks for the info Nitro! I think I'll give it a try myself and see how it goes with the Carbonex washers.

Tony