www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: first trip to leech on the ice

Default first trip to leech on the ice

this site seems aliitle slow this time of year, Im heading up to leech Feb. 18th for a few days and was wondering what to expect. I believe the eelpout spl? festival is going on that weekend. whats that all about? also anyone wana give me some advice on how to catch some eyes through the ice? depth? rig? location? time of day? I do great on open water but havent a clue when it comes to ice, Im sure ill figure it out but some help would be nice, hsould I look for spring, summer,or fall patterns, or none of the above.

also my cabin is winterized and it would be a pain in the a$$ to open it and close it for only 4 days so were going to get a hotel or lodge or something. is that hard to do on this weekend? should I be calling somewhere now?

who can I rent a shack from for the 4 days also, were bring portables but plan on fishing daylight to dark so a nice heated shack would be nice.

Thanks

Default Eel Pout Fest

That week is crazy up here. Likley no rooms left. Folks reserve them a year ahead of time. Also little chance of renting a fish house. Walleye fishing has been slow for the most part. We caught 3 tonight. No real pattern we were fishing in 18 to 20 feet. Some fish off the humps in Walker Bay.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Default More on Eel Pout

I was on my iphone and it was difficult to send a long response. I also winterize my cabin for the winter. However, we come up often. We carry water for drinking, coffee, etc. We flush the toilets with a bucket of water, no problem. When we leave we pour some pink antifreeze in the traps and toilets. Eel pout is a blast, if you have not experienced one you should. It would be worth your while to winter camp in your cabin. Come on up.
    Jim Murphy

Murph, you were spot on, ive called every hotel within 45min. of walker and no dice. "camping" in our cabin was my back up plan as it has a wood burning stove and taking water with wouldnt be a big deal. Only Prob. is our cabin is on Garfield and the road in is over a mile long and I dont believe anyone takes care of it in the winter, so I dont know if I could even get to my cabin. Maby cross the lake from Laport. How much snow has the walker area gotten this year? Anyway were still trying to work out the details, it sure sounds like a blast. Ive heard it looks like the town of walker moved out on the ice over this weekend. Is it hard to catch an Eel Pout?

I hope to make it up, good luck to everyone.

Default Snow

There is not a lot of snow in and around Walker. We could drive every where on the lake with 4 wheel drive vehicles. Your main concern is the drifs on your road. Hope you can make it up.
    Jim Murphy