www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Handle

Default Handle

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    If you want a great reel for Cowgirls buy a Calcutta Te LJV handle from Shimano direct.

Called up Shimano and told them I had a Calcutta 400TE and they informed me that the 700 series power handle is better than the Trinidad model...So i took their advice and ordered one directly from Shimano...

BOOM!

1st time I use it...which is a few months out :P I'll post a review...

Send it back. Seriously. The LJV handle is way better. The handle you got is fine for everything else but for Cowgirls it will still wear you out. I wish I could have caught you beforehand. If you are going to spend that much you might as well get the good one. Or, you can use the handle you just got for everything else and get the LJV for a different reel.

Or, I can just stop typing and keep quiet...............
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

lol! stoopid! ljv! boom!

Are you talking about the "crank" handle...with no counter weight? I might just have to call shimano today and order that one...

crank..........

The third picture down is the one that is good for Cowgirls. It is called "Big Crank" on the picture...........stop it Lonardi, I already know what you're thinking and it aint right. That one has the wide leverage like the LJV handle. You can see that it sticks out a lot further from the reel than the others. That's what gives you the torque for big blades.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

$40 bucks...ordered! BOOM! DYNOMYTE!

There are some funny stories of people using this handle and having it engage the drag system and literally disintegrating the gears inside their reel!

You might have to have Dave's reel repair drill it out for you depending on what reel you put it on. It fits perfectly on a Pflueger 56 or 66 model reel. It makes the $90.00 Pflueger feel like a $300.00 reel.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Default Advice

If you are going to use this handle(LJV), it is sweet for the cowgirls, but, if you are putting it on a 400TE, make sure the handle is in the DOWN position before you cast, otherwise it can snap down on you and close the free spool, and seriously damage your reel gears.

You are very right. I was thankfully told before I used mine. Good heads up.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

I learned the hard way with Ty's reel

BOOM!

Looks like it will fit my reel with no problems...

Last edited by Snizz; 01-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.

It's not every day you get to see Jimmie "JJ" Walker on this site. Thanks Snizz!
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Default Pflueger 55 and 66 reels

Ty -

Great to see you at the Milwaukee show, and looking forward to fishing with you this summer. Also, thanks for the info on the LJV handles. More questions:

1. Where can you still find the round 55 and 66 Pflueger reel's? It seems that they may have stopped making them?

2. If that is the case, do you know if the same LJV handle will fit the PFL Trion LP (this is their white, low profile reel with a wider spool). I have this reel and a 66, and the handles appear the same on both. Will it fit on any of their "new" low profile reels?

3. Do you know if the LJV will fit an older Calcutta 400?

Thanks,
    Jason Smith (Dahli's pal, but don't hold that against me!)

I would do some more searching for that Pflueger. I can't believe they stopped making that thing. That's not good. I don't think you will want to put that handle on the small low profile Pflueger. That's more of a bass reel but still a good reel none the less.

As for that Calcutta 400, it might fit ok but from what I heard the nut will not hold very good so you have to bore the handle out some to get more threading. It's a tough process without the proper tooling. There is a guy in the Chicago area that will do it for cheap. I can't remember his name right off the top of my head. I think he is in the Cary/Crystal Lake area.

Good seeing you two at the show,
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Default Pflueger 66

Hey Ty, this is Jon Richards. Turns out they did discontinue the pfleger 66. Do you know of any other reels that would go well with that handle upgrade??

Got my reel back today from Shimano...

The screw did not set properly into the handle because the plate was just fractions off...All it took was a small file and 20 seconds to file the hole down enough so the screw would screw in flush...done and done...

Thanks for the help TY!

Quote Originally Posted by jrichards View Post
    Hey Ty, this is Jon Richards. Turns out they did discontinue the pfleger 66. Do you know of any other reels that would go well with that handle upgrade??
    Found this one on ebay. I think this is the one Ty is referring too. There's 4 of them for sale. Brand new. $130

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1084wt_941

Thanks for the help Snizz & Ty.

That seems pretty expensive for a trion (especially when you through in $13 for shipping). I paid $70 for one at cabela's a few months ago. It was the display model because it is discontinued (I got an extra 10% off of the $70).

Dale,
    those reels are worth whatever they are worth to you, but that does seem a bit high for that particular reel. Back when I got the Gander versions of them (GS66), they were about 80-90 bucks. I think the actual Pfluegers were going for about $100.

For something that is going to cost $143 to be delivered to your door, there might be other options worth looking into. I've used Okuma reels the last couple years and have been pretty happy with them. Can get new Indurons on Ebay for $80 with free shipping. I just bought a new Red Isis in the 250 size for my wife for $73 shipped to my door, and that's a $160 retail reel. The Red Isis comes with either a power handle or a nice double paddle handle. The Induron comes with a small double paddle handle which you won't likely want to use, but you can get power handles for them. I think they are $16 per handle at Rollie's, or if you ask Mark Rogers (California_Muskie) over on MuskieFirst he might send you one for free.

The Shimano Cardiff is around $120, and it looks like it could be a decent reel but I haven't used one yet.

curleytail

Snizz the reel looks GREAT! Now dont be casting with the handle in that position you hear?
    Last edited by Jason L.; 03-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.

I just noticed that Aaron at Musky Tackle Online (MTO) has the Pfluegers for $100. If he has something on his site it should be in stock. Also, he offers free shipping on orders over $75, so you might want to get those Pfluegers from him before he runs out! Also check out his bait prices when you are on his site - great prices and he ships fast.

curleytail

Quote Originally Posted by curleytail View Post
    I just noticed that Aaron at Musky Tackle Online (MTO) has the Pfluegers for $100. If he has something on his site it should be in stock. Also, he offers free shipping on orders over $75, so you might want to get those Pfluegers from him before he runs out! Also check out his bait prices when you are on his site - great prices and he ships fast.

curleytail
    NICE!! I just placed my order with them. Thanks for the help!

Good call on Muskytackleonline. I didn't think of that.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Default handle

If I am not mistaken, the Bass Pro Maina reel (3000M) is private labeled for them by Pflueger and is nearly the identical reel as the 66. It comes with a power handle, and that mount hole fits Revo Toro and Calcutta B. They were closing out what they had (though the new ones only appear to have changed cosmetically) for $55 I think.

Because I use the more natural right hand cast, left hand reel, (I just don't understand the cast right, swap, reel right, but I digress...) finding a discontinued Pflueger Trion 66L (left) was much easier than for the rights. Now I'm going ahead and buying the LJV handle as suggested. Ty, you say it fits perfectly. Any filing or other mods needed to fit that handle on the Trion, or as simple as remove nut, remove handle, add handle, add nut?

Thanks. Hoping it works like a poor man's Calcutta. We'll find out.

Trav

No modifications needed.

I like that......poor mans Calcutta. Has a certain white trash feel to it. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that from time to time.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843