www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice conditions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Has all that warm weather the last week or so started to break up the ice oh so early?

any updates?

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Default Ice Out!

Ice went out today. Now pray for rain.

www.flambeauvista.com

So now we can say "it went out in March in 2010" (just barely made it!) Any old timers remember an earlier ice-out, or is this a record??

Default New Record

It is my understanding that this is a new record with the old record being April 7.

www.flambeauvista.com

Wow!!!

Mark

I was out on Friday with some friends and caught some nice eyes along with a big smallie, had around 5 inches of good solid ice then. I was back out last evening with my 4 wheeler and found around 6 inches plus of ice, saw two other anglers out there with wheelers also. I can't say for sure if the ice thickness is the same all over, so if you venture out with a wheeler, be careful.
    Don Pemble

so hows the flowage after toodays rain?
    was planning on taking the shack out today but when it started to rain I decided to wait awhile longer. also was thinking of going out on the sled but after reading the ride from hell decided againsy that too. I feel stuck .guess the xmas present from the kids will get a workout Wii
    rgv

Quite wet today, after rain and 40 degree temps for two days. About half of the snow has melted with areas of the lake (not the flowage) showing water on top of ice. FF and Popkos are showing some blacktop again. Sounds like the cold front coming in tomorrow will change things some.

Question

I'm coming up next weekend. Just wondering what travel conditions are like from Fisherman's Landing since I only have a minivan for transportation. Thanks in advance for any responses.

As of 4-18-2014 there was 22" of solid ice.

Default ice?

someone said there's still ice does someone have an eyeball on it? down by lake bastine?

Default Half iced up

The Bastine Lake area still is more than half covered in ice. With temps below freezing doesn't help.
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Default Water Temps

One would expect Bastine to be one of the last to open up. It's deep and will obviously warm slower than the shallower areas of the Flowage. It would be interesting to know the water temps of Bastine and the out flow from the dam.

As of 4/28/18 there is 20" of ice. Top layer of 2" refrozen slush, then maybe 1" of water, then 17" of hard, solid ice. I used my hand auger to drill the hole, and it was work to get through it; the ice is solid and not honeycombed at all.

Yesterday 12/27/15 there were still scattered areas of open water by Donner's Bay to Turtle/Bastine. Last night the open areas froze over. Ice is 3-4" and solid in other areas. Be very cautious, because, again, there was open water yesterday, and this means that certain areas are going to be unsafe. No snowmobiles out on the ice yet, and with good reason. Not much snow on the ice, just a light coating. You can hear the ice groaning occasionally, so it must be growing.

any pics......?
    R.I.P. Hiawatha Resort

Talking Ice Out!

Sorry Sledhead, I'm not that techno savvy to post pics; however, I'm pleased to announce that we have Ice Out on Lake Bastine thanks to the wind and rain this past hour. Since it is supposed to rain all night, I'm sure the entire TFF will be ice free by tomorrow. Now what will we talk about? Maybe fishing?

Yep, Bastine is out, but the area east of Bastine and just west of Big Island is still ice, with about 3 inches of non-honeycomb ice. Obviously though, it should be all out by the opener.

As of 12/8 there was almost 3" of ice around and out from shore, but still open water in certain areas away from shore. I would not advise much travel quite yet!

Never ice fished the Turtle, and I see MuskieRandy's post as of 12/8. Is it much better up there now? At what point can a guy bring a 4-wheeler up there? Was thinking about possibly breaking my virginity on the Turtle Ice this weekend, 12/21.