www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice conditions

Default CD Rom lake map

I found it for $90, for Garmin. Looks like it has a lot of detail with 1 foot contour, wonder what the water level was when they took the readings?

You can see an example of it on the Garmin On the water web site.

Has anyone been up to Lake of Falls spotting yet? I assume all the ice is off now?

Lakemaster surveyed in late June, 2008. Based on photographs I took at the time, the water level appeared to be a foot or less below full pool. The Humminbird version actually has a lake level offset so you can calibrate the contour lines to match the water level.

They still haven't printed a paper version. I'm sure the profit margins are much higher on the chips, so they probably won't unless they get enough requests for it.

As of 12-3-11 ice was 2.75" thick near shore, where the ice was not covered with snow. Out from shore, the snow covered areas were much thinner, maybe a little over 1 inch. With last night's snow, everything is covered up, I would not go out, there's some dangereous ice hidden under the snow. This week looks pretty cold, should be improving.

Anybody know what the ice looks like? I'm looking at the weather forecast for next week, and I can't see the ice sticking around for very long! I wonder if ice out this year is going to break a record.

Randy,

I am not sure about breaking a record for early ice-out, but there is open water around my south facing shoreline and the ice is very dark. This morning I woke up to the honking of geese that, by mistake, landed on the ice about 200 feet from shore.

If predicted weather holds up (temps in the mid-70's, rain tonight and 15-20 mph wind from the south) I think we will see open water by the end of this week.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

I believe there was a thread here last year that stated last years ice out on the last day of March was the earliest.

As of 12/8 there was almost 3" of ice around and out from shore, but still open water in certain areas away from shore. I would not advise much travel quite yet!

Never ice fished the Turtle, and I see MuskieRandy's post as of 12/8. Is it much better up there now? At what point can a guy bring a 4-wheeler up there? Was thinking about possibly breaking my virginity on the Turtle Ice this weekend, 12/21.

I was out on Friday with some friends and caught some nice eyes along with a big smallie, had around 5 inches of good solid ice then. I was back out last evening with my 4 wheeler and found around 6 inches plus of ice, saw two other anglers out there with wheelers also. I can't say for sure if the ice thickness is the same all over, so if you venture out with a wheeler, be careful.
    Don Pemble

Made it out yesterday afternoon for a few hours and found the ice to be in great shape. Averaged close to 20" of good ice. Truck travel is still o.k., but there's about 8-10 inches on fresh snow on the ice thats making "some" small slush spots. I would assume it will only get worse in some places in the future. Fishing wasn't too bad either..... iced 8 walleyes with most being over 15" and a pike. Small sucker minnows out fished small shiners 3 to 1. 2-4 f.o.w sandy gravel bottom. A little slower in the grass.

Good Luck!

Bill Mundt

As of 4-6-13 Ice was 24"

As of 4-18-2014 there was 22" of solid ice.

As of April 20 2014, 19" of ice out from shore. 17" near shore. Wow! 3 inches gone in 2 days

As of 11-29-14, 6.5"

I've heard there's quite a bit of snow, and some slush on the ice. Any updates as to what the actual ice depth is? Trucks out on the ice?

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

There was at least 12" of ice and truck travel as of last weekend (1/10/15).

As of 2-28-2015 it's 21.5" thick. Not alot of slush. Snow on top is firm. I snowshoe, so I don't know about snowmobile, ATV, and truck conditions, but I see alot of them out there.

Ice is going out. Lots of open water around shore. Some bays are ice-free. Remaining ice is black, 3" thick, honeycombed, and rotten. Ice will be out in a couple days. No loons yet. Saw a pair of hooded mergansers, geese, and an otter.

Great news! Thanks for the update Muskie Randy!

Friday, 11/27/15 - Entire area from Bastine/Turtle to West side of Big Island was open water. Friday night got down to 7 degrees and Sat. AM 11/28/15 the entire area was iced over. I have never seen so quick a COMPLETE ice up. Usually you get certain areas that go first, and a mix of open water and ice, but this was almost complete in one evening! Sat. ice was a little over 1" thick along shore and as far out as I dared to go over shallow areas, which was about 6 feet from shore. Sunday 11/29 ice was 2". Today, 11/30, ice is 2 3/8". Looks like some not so cold weather coming, and snow, so ice formation will slow.

Any new updates muskie? Im very concerned that snowmobiling over the holidays won't be a possibility based on the forecast. Is the ice still there with the high temps?

Just drove home from LAKE GOGEBIC TODAY---I would say that it would take a MIRACLE for any type of real snowmobiling to happen before CHRISTMAS-----I know there might be some snow on the way---But it needs COLD and SNOW in a big way----MAYBE with some Help JAN 1 could happen......But safe Ice ??? Man it looks like that EL NINO might screw up my snowmobiling for this season...

Yesterday 12/27/15 there were still scattered areas of open water by Donner's Bay to Turtle/Bastine. Last night the open areas froze over. Ice is 3-4" and solid in other areas. Be very cautious, because, again, there was open water yesterday, and this means that certain areas are going to be unsafe. No snowmobiles out on the ice yet, and with good reason. Not much snow on the ice, just a light coating. You can hear the ice groaning occasionally, so it must be growing.

As of 4/28/18 there is 20" of ice. Top layer of 2" refrozen slush, then maybe 1" of water, then 17" of hard, solid ice. I used my hand auger to drill the hole, and it was work to get through it; the ice is solid and not honeycombed at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12