www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: jigging line

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default jigging line

Hey guys,

Just wondering why im not getting any walleye on my jiggin rod. Ive caught several pike with it but cant get the walleyes to commit... Ive caught walleyes on my deadstick though. Only difference is the deadsticks running ten pound mono and the jig rod is 8lb fireline micro ice in white... Im wondering if maybe the line is too visable for the walleyes. I think Ill re spool with mono or maybe flouro. any suggestions?

thanks jerkbait

try adding a 3-6' leader of mono or flouro.
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jtourangeau View Post
    try adding a 3-6' leader of mono or flouro.
    What pound test leader are you adding? I have been using a 1' to 2' of 6lbn vanish and I have them swim up and check out my swivel sometimes.

I use 6-8#,but more important is the long length in clear water so they don't see your swivel or braid.some just spool up with all mono.I like the low memory of braid.its just what I feel comfortable with. I don't realy fish shallower than 20' w/this setup.hope that helps.
    Last edited by jtourangeau; 01-18-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Personally, I’ve never experienced any difference in the amount of bites that I get from one line type to the next. I used to use 10# PowerPro Ice, and did just fine on that. I’ve also used 10# FireLine and did well on that too. Now, I am using 10# Trilene Cold Weather line (mono) and I still don’t notice any difference in the amount of bites that I get. The only reason that I changed from braided line to mono is because I had issues with the braided stuff breaking. Now, I use the mono and simply re-spool after every 3rd or 4th fishing trip to prevent loosing those $7.25 Rapalas. As far as I’m concerned, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Of course, mono has memory and braid doesn’t. That is definitely an advantage of braid. Also there is the stretch factor. Braided line has superior sensitivity due to the fact that it has zero stretch. Therefore, the braided line helps more with detecting light bites. However, in my opinion, the stretchiness of mono is a major plus once the fish is hooked up. If memory serves me, I believe mono has about a 17% stretch rate before breakage. This makes mono much more forgiving for fighting fish. It works as a shock absorber, preventing hooks from tearing out. This is a major plus for me because, fishing with Raps, many of the fish that I catch are hooked by nothing more than a flap of skin.
    Anyway, hope this helps!

good points,theres a lot of factors to fishing.its sometimes hard to answer simple questions w/simple answers.I also need to mention a longer rod will help absorb rather than tear out hooks,as well as a good drag.I like a 28''-32'' rod for jigging braid w/spoons and rap styles.

I understand the reasoning behind using a long (6 to 8 ft) flouro or mono leader on your tipups so that the swivel is further from the bait. I usually use a split shot sinker to keep the minnow down... how far from the hook would you put a sinker? Thanks!

Wink alright

I run 4-6''suckers for eyes.I put my weight/s as close to the bait as legally possible.I try to keep the bait 3-6' off bottom.My thinking behind this is the fish will see only the bait when looking up at the rig.If I run smaller bait on tipup Ill just attach it to a spoon or jig or something that has weight.Now my results for year on tipups. JT-0 FISH-1 One bite-off my fisrt trip.Hopefully someone has some info for me!