www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Before I get MAD

Default Before I get MAD

I would like to ask a question and take an informal poll so to speak.

How close is to close? (shack to shack) I have people so close that I can not even fish with any tip ups. I am talking less than 30 ft. And they are Locals. according to the address on the shack. Maybe if they wanted to be there they should have got there before me. Thought it some what rude to just set up that close. I have not said anything yet, but I might. It would be one thing if they were your friend you invited out.

The final straw was today My friend went out to use my shack and people moved in so close he had to turn the snow machine around by hand to leave because they had it boxed in so tight he could not leave

Let me know what you think is acceptable How many feet or preferable YARDS?

Default to close

Sounds rough... I would find the loudest auger you can find and drill holes all around the shacks that moved in... You know like 500 holes take a good hour or two and just dig holes..... Or invite everyperson you know out and have a big part and say your drilling holes for tip ups for all of them (3 each) or, which is what I try to do... Move.. Get the hell away from the crowds. Once they show up the shows over anyway...

Default Stupid people

This has been a HUGE pet peeve of mine for years! With all of the room on the lake....why do people do that?? It is rude, disrespectful and downright ignorant.

For me, too close is probably further than most would think. When I move to an area occupied by others......I usually stay waaaaaay to the edge of the group. I never move to the inner area of a group. I say about 50 yards is plenty close......15-30 feet is idiotic.

Thumbs down close shacks

Walleye Quinn to duckiller2. Go out and do some midnight fishing take some long rope with you and drag all them shacks away from you. In years past I have had tipups as close as 15 to 20 feet out side my door. So now when I get to my shack and tipups are that close I play there game and run them over.

Default Mad

Thanks for the advice so far. It has been really windy and shacks at times blow away I hear. End up by Boondockers on the Stonington side I hear. Can run over their tip ups cause they are so close they can't use them either. Do not really want to move because it is a good spot. I want to try to treat them the way I would like to be treated but they started it. So some action is forth coming.

Quinn still have the shack I should buy? Can not believe it has not sold yet 300.00 is a DEAL. I am holding out for a 6x8

Thumbs up Shack

Sounds like a go. There's a guy thats going to stop by tonight and get it I hope. This is why I'm not out fishing tonight.

rockbass Guest

Good idea run their tip ups over, then next time you get out your shack is burned down. If someone is that stupid to get so close, do you think they are not dumb ebough to do something back. Is it really worth a few fish? Wonder why everyone thinks we are hillbilly jerks up here. LOL some of you people are just plain old stupid.

Common sense goes a long way, that is if you have any.

I have gone out to fish a spot and have found an unattended permenant shack right on that spot, so we moved and fished another spot. I went back later that day to see how the other guy was doing and no one was there, went back the next morning same thing no one was there! two or more days no one fished there? Why is this ok? I think this ethics thing should go both ways. some of those shacks don't get fished but once a week, the other 6 days is just a wasted spot. I think the first fisherman to come (not an empty shack) first fisherman served, would be the best way to solve this debate. our spots are not rented or owned, so if you don't like your neighbors just move! life is way to short to worry about the little things.
    Sorry, I know this post won't be popular, but it is the way I see it!
    -Cosmo
    P.S. you won't have worry about me being to close, I'll be that little blue speck off in the distance.

rockbass Guest

Well if they only fish one day a week that means you have 6 days to fish the spot by yourself. People are gonna do what they want same goes when your in a boat its unreal how stupid people are. Does it make it right for you to do something stupid back or just save yourself the headache? Could you imagine if there were a 50 yard rule LOL not everyone would be able to fish lol. It is what it is, look at kipling its a shanty town mess.

When someone moves close to you, you can as nicely if you want but you really have to right to tell them to leave, your better off keeping your mouth shut or just leaving most of the time. Face it reasoning with people like that for the most part is pointless. They thought it was ok to begin with, these are the same guys that think nothing of crossing 10 yards behind your boat when you are trolling. There is an over abundance of stupid, clueless people its a fact we have to deal with.

Default Where To Fish

I always look at the spread of shanties, then try to gauge the direction of current flow, and place a shanty downcurrent of the others on the theory that bait scent, attractants, and so forth drifts downcurrent from the group and if any fish are going to be attracted to this "scent trail" they come in from downcurrent. I know this is complicated by the fact that current flow sometimes reverses on the bay (I feel it is generally north to south). I set up several hundred yards from others. Also, many anglers with permanent shanties set up once and stay there all season. I move frequently. Remember how the bay used to look during the winter? Wide open spaces. It is not that way anymore. There are more shanties than I have ever seen out there. Most winter fishermen find spots by playing "follow the leader" except that they have no idea who the leaders are and the truth is the "leaders" just go out looking for new fish almost every time out.

Default Mad

I have decided to move when I get the chance. I do not want to mess with anyone's stuff. Would not like if they messed with mine. My 6 year old would be upset if we got out there and something happened to his stuff in the shack. I want to be a good example to him. Thanks for letting me VENT

Remember "You can't fix stupid"

It's still frustrating though Duck. I can't imagine moving right in on someone who is set up or already has a permanent shack there.

Unless they have caught some fish of course.....then 8-12 feet away is ok. I'M KIDDING....not OK!

I just move away if it happens to me too. No use startin a war over a 10 lb walleye...or is there?

rockbass Guest

Quote Originally Posted by duckiller2 View Post
    I have decided to move when I get the chance. I do not want to mess with anyone's stuff. Would not like if they messed with mine. My 6 year old would be upset if we got out there and something happened to his stuff in the shack. I want to be a good example to him. Thanks for letting me VENT

Remember "You can't fix stupid"

Good choice you're being the better person and a good role model for your 6 yuear old. If more people were like you there would be alot less problems on the water, and in general.

boats breed boats/shacks breed shacks.that's just the way it is.some call it the'' cheezhead fishfinder'' all you need is a pair of binoculars.
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Default "cheezhead fishfinder"

Boy, for how much money "cheeseheads" bring to your state, you sure seem to bash them an awful lot. Maybe when you live in MI you become perfect.

yes id have to say that we are perfect..haha

I've been fishing little bay for a good 15 years and the worst experience I've had was when a cheese head put a tip up literally 6 feet from my shack. I was amazed to see this so I drilled a hole 2 feet from it just to be a smartass. The guy moved his tip up... Dont get me wrong when I use the term cheese head because I dont have a problem with em at all. They fish hard, theyre friendly, and of course they like their beer!

Alright guys, lets keep it civil.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com