www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: What's the best ice shack

Default What's the best ice shack

I want to buy a flip over style ice shack. Must hold 2 adults plus all gear comfortably (power auger, vexilar, minnows....everything). What is the best brand/model to buy. It should also be able to fit a younger child inside on occasion in addition to the 2 adults (not for transport, but fishing only!).

I want a good one. I was at gander mountain today looking at them and noticed that some are pretty cheap. I do not want the zipper to break (which seems to happen on every ice shack and pop-up blind). I want one that is warm and will not fall apart. If money was no option, what would you buy?

I currently use a hub style shack which is excellent....once it is set up, which takes forever (expecially in some wind). However the zipper broke, of course, and I want something more mobile....attached to a trailer.

Tell me what I should get, what it costs, and where to buy it.. Thanks alot.

Default shacks

I think that frabil has a better zipper than the clams... If you are in mqt again you can check out the frabils at dunhams...i don't think the one in esky has room for anything.. this is the 3 person which would be bad azz if weight is no restriction as well as money... The fish trap thermal x's are very nice but also very expensive. This link is for frabil but check out the clams and otters also..Another thing, the seats in a frabil fold up and go inside the sled, the clams are attached taking up more space when packed.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/she...excursion.html

The Clam X-Series is the way to go.

Default Best Ice Shack

I purchased a Frabill Predator portable ice shack in October, 2009. After the assembly of the unit I stood back and took a look at it inside and out. This my forth portable shack. I am very impressed by the quality and engineering that went into designing this portable. It is very roomy-will seat three if you put a seat between the two seats that are included with the unit. For two adults and a child this is a perfect shelter. I did look at the Otter and Clam The Clam TCX is very nice also, However I choose the Frabill because of the construction - very sturdy when the spreader poles are placed inside. Frabill states that the spreaders are not necessary except high wind conditions. They do stabilize the entire shack. Three of my portables are Frabills, including the new one. My one man Frabill is for sale and so is my Shappell DX3000 foldup two man portable. Good Luck with your purchase whatever it may be. I bought the Predator from Franks Outdoors in Linwood, MI, the cost was $599 and in my opinion well worth the price. Tow bar and cover are optional.

Jim E

Cool Love Mine

I've had my Clam X now for 3 years and it's as good as the day I bought it and I don't think you can buy a better one. I looked at and drove up to every portable shack on the lake for 3 years before finally taking the plunge. They have the best pole system and I usually fish alone and it takes me literally 30 seconds or less to set up. Only draw back is getting it in the back of the truck myself as it is 175 lbs I believe. I have a system though.
    It trails nice behind the wheeler and has the best seats in the business.
    It will hold 2 men and a boy easily . I mada a little bench between the two seats and it's a nice table or seat if there's a 3rd person. Holds all my gear and then some. Also you must spring $70 bucks for the cover . It is a must for moving on the lake.
    My brother inlaw left the door flapping one time and my zipper melted on the heater and deemed it unusable. I called Clam Corp. and they sold me the entire shelter cover which was a 2nd for $50. Had a tiny tear at a seam that my wife sewed up. Great customer service and they stand behind their product.
    There is nothing that I don't like about it. Got mine at Gander and saved a bunch when they had a promo deal for getting a GanderCard.
    If you live in the area and want to see mine let me know. Good Luck!!! Slammer!!!!!

Default Ice Shack

Thanks for the info on ice shacks, I'm looking to buy one soon. Looking at the Clam Expedition plus a sled, auger and Mr. Buddy heater at Gander Mountain in TC. Anyone have any experience with that model Clam shack? I like it because the whole rig fits in the back of my Jeep Liberty and isn't too heavy.

Default Not a Flip over type

Butch.....the Expedition is one of the popup type right?

For me, I wouldn't want one of the popup type.....in heavy wind I like the sled attached and with me sitting on it. I borrowed a friends Clam Yukon last winter and fished in major wind...and was fine. However, a buddy was in a Shappell and he wasn't so good. Don't buy a Shappell...I won one a couple years ago, used it for a while and sold it.

I fell into a deal this fall for a Yukon....used one time. Also included a Jiffy Stealth....used one time. A Buddy heater with 10# tank/hose. He "threw" in a depthfinder....ended up being an almost brand new Vexilar.

Anyway, the guy wanted $500 for it. I think I did OK. It all fits in the back of our Jeep Commander.

Otter all the way.

I have a clam Guide 2 man.Below 10f or windy forget it, stay home.The next portable I buy will have some type of R value and a bigger skirt around the bottom.
    KEEP THE SLOT ON BAY DE NOC

Just bought my Otter Ice Lodge and man there is nothing like this thing...the room in this baby is unmatched by anything else on the market. Quite expensive but if taken care of it will be the last portable fish shack you'll ever have to buy! You get what you pay for.

Default Best Portable

I have a "Pop-N-Fish" 2-man that sets up fast (raise 2 outside walls and insert a ridge pole). Lays flat and pulls like a sled. Lots of room. Now think about this: I bought it in 1985, and I still use it every season. I've fished from it hundreds of times. No reason to buy another style. It still works great. All flaps, doors, windows, etc. are Velcro - no zippers. Also, the floor is OSB (what you may call particle board). Despite the reputation of this type wood for delaminating (swelling) and being "cheap", mine is just as good as new! I don't know what they coated this OSB with from the factory, but mine is just as good now as when I bought it. I bet this brand is no longer available - because the originals were just too good. Buy one and ice fish from it for life. The only modification I ever made to the original design was to screw a pair of skis onto the original wood runners to create a wider base for better travel across snow.

Thumbs up best ice shack

contact muskegon awning in muskegon,mi they make the lodge. this is the best shack money can buy! they are usually custom ordered hand made one at a time the size you want. heavy canvas tops are quiet in the wind and warm.