www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Not so serious fish carving.

Default Not so serious fish carving.

Hi Guys, did this fish carving for a friend for Christmas and thought some of you might get a kick out of it. It is 18 1/2 inches long and half that is head so it also has a mean bite. I gave it a little grin as well. Have done a lot of realistic carvings and this was a fun stress relief. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

"Flipper"

(Elandus Monsterus Muskius)

Default carving

great job man, I'd like to see one of your realistic muskies or pike as well. Wish Casey Edwards would come to the Chicago show again. I bought a cool carving of two muskies on an oar a few years ago and can't find him to buy more stuff.

Wow, pure talent. Great job!
    John

that is awesome, Flipper! very cool.

Thanks Guys, I wish I would have been able to get a pic without a flash because that kind of bleaches out the color. The people I gave it to were really happy with the creation and can't wait to put it at their lake place behind the bar.
    "Flipper"

wow great work. do you have other pics of your other work?

I don't have a pic of a Musky but I will try and have the guy with the carving email me one. I had some pics of some others on my PC so here you go. The first is a 21" Northern checking out a butterfly.

couple of a Bluegill and Snail

Leaping Tarpon

"Flipper"

Smallmouth and Crayfish, Longear Sunfish, Steelhead and a Rainbow.

"Flipper"

Sailfish on a hook and a Queen Triggerfish.

Last edited by Flipper; 01-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    "Flipper"

ok now i have to ask do you sell these?
    do you have a web site?

steven, I used to do a lot of fish taxidermy and developed an allergic reaction to fish flesh on my hands. I then switched to reproduction fish and wood carvings. Some of the top fish taxidermists in the country made the switch to fish carving and I jumped in with the rest. I would give them as gifts and sold a few to help support some of my other hobbies. It got to the point I was working all my spare time instead of hunting and fishing. I slowed things down and started playing more! The Queen Trigger was the last competition piece I entered in the World Fish Carving Championships in 2001 and I have not done a lot of carving since.

As far as a Website the answer is no, I found out you can get swamped and way behind in a hurry. It just takes a lot of hours to do a carving.
    "Flipper"

Well all I can say is YOU have a gift!!!
    you have some great work there.
    I am very impressed with your work.
    thanks for the info.
    Steve Fiorio

Default allergic reaction

hey Flipper, i was reading your replies, and noticed you mentioned you developed an allergic reaction to fish flesh on your hands. was wondering if you could elaborate on that, because i have had problems the last few years handling fish, and wondered if it may be the same as what you are experiencing..

thanks

Dave

Talking

Dave, the skin on my fingertips gets very dry and starts to peal and it feels like I have thistle needles in them when I touch something. I talked to other taxidermists at the world shows that had the same problem. I tried wearing gloves and that was tough trying to skin a fish. Or, with latex gloves a bone would poke a hole and you would have the same problem. It's always catch and release for me on everything unless someone else is cleaning the walleye or bluegill.
    "Flipper"

Flipper, thats a little different then what i experience. my fingers will get bumps on them, then the skin will dry up and peel off... doesnt really hurt, but is annoying.. basically kills all the skin, weird... went to a dermatologist, and he said it was from the water???

thanks for the reply

Dave

It sounds the same, my nerves only got tender a couple times when I kept working on fish but the rest of the time it is the way you explaned it. Like it kills the first layer of skin.

Jeff
    "Flipper"

Well let me know if you ever find anything to help it, and i will do the same.. saw something on the net called gloves in a bottle, may try that and see if it helps..

thanks

Dave

Talking

Here is the Musky I did years ago getting ready for a Muskrat snack.

"Flipper"