www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: State Mandated Quick Strike Rigging in Wisconsin

Default State Mandated Quick Strike Rigging in Wisconsin

Single hook rigging (on suckers larger than 10") in Wisconsin might be banned in 2011. Click link for further explanation:

http://www.muskyhunter.com/forum/dcb...id=24511&page=
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Glad to hear that somebody is trying to do away with catch and kill rigs! I think they should lower it to anything 6 inches or larger. Just my opinion.

Proposed wording for the upcoming Wisconsin Quick Strike Proposal:

Use of Quick-Strike Rigs When Using Minnows Larger Than 10 Inches In Total Length

This proposal would require the use of “quick-strike” rigs when fishing with large minnows as bait. A recent study conducted and published by DNR scientists concluded that when muskellunge swallowed large suckers fished on single hooks, mortality within one year was over 80%, even when the leader was cut, the fish was released quickly, and it appeared unharmed.

The use of suckers as bait for muskellunge is popular in Wisconsin. One traditional method utilizes a large single hook through the sucker’s snout, which requires the angler to wait for a muskellunge to swallow the bait prior to hook set. During a recent study, adult muskellunge (> 30 in) were held in lined hatchery ponds and were caught using live suckers on size10/0 single hooks. For each muskellunge landed, the leader was cut and the muskellunge was released. Survival was monitored for 1 year. No short term (< 24 h) mortality occurred. However, 22% of hooked muskellunge died within 50 days and 83% died within 1 year. Necropsies revealed extensive trauma to the stomach and other organs from hook wounds, along with systemic bacterial infections. Mortality rates observed in this study are considered unacceptable for adequate management of muskellunge. Although the use of live bait for muskellunge is a traditional activity in Wisconsin, terminal tackle such as quick-strike rigs that hook fish in the mouth will improve the chances that a released muskellunge will survive.

A version of this proposal (for 8” and larger bait) was supported as an advisory question on the 2007 Spring Hearing questionnaire (question #37) by a vote of 2,224 Yes, 803 No, with 67 counties approving and 3 rejecting; 2 counties had tie votes. The minimum size of minnows covered by this proposal was increased from 8” to 10” to address concerns raise by some catfish anglers who use live fish as bait.

Under this proposal, all minnows in excess of 10 inches in total length must be fished with a quick strike rig and the hook must be immediately set by the angler upon indication of a strike. A quick strike rig is defined as a bait rig with 1 or more treble hooks attached to the body of the minnow or sucker. A jig or other single hook may also be used in the snout of the minnow or sucker, but it must be accompanied by one or more treble hooks attached to the body of the minnow.

Would you favor requiring the use of quick-strike rigs when using minnows larger than 10 inches in total length?

YES_______ NO_______
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Just think about all the muskies/pike that have been killed over the years using a single-hook rig when all that you need to do is add another treble or two to the mid-section of the sucker's body.

"I cut the line and she swam off in great shape" does not mean squat anymore as long as there is still a hook buried in the stomach/tongue of ANY fish.

Not preachin', just sayin'.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1228.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	11906  
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

This area has a ton of excellent livebait fishermen chasing bass and walleye using 4-6 inch chubs, suckers, etc., that hook into muskies/pike by accident after letting the fish "run" with the bait long enough for the entire bait/hook to be swallowed. There are several guys who drop anchor or shore fish that target muskies with a single hook rig just like anywhere else but with a simple modification, the hook-set can be instantaneous instead of waiting for the hook to reach the stomach.

Now we know for certain that most of these "bite-offs" or cut-offs will ultimately lead to a dead fish. Education is the absolute key with this issue.

I have killed a few pike and at least 1 muskie myself using single-hooks with live bait back in the early to mid-90's....Big bait under a slip bobber was/is very popular in targeting (mid to late-Fall) pike during the shallower water migration on Kinzua. I used to make my own Quick Strike rigs back in the day and they worked very well with all muskies/pike being hooked in the mouth. Then I bought my first "Herbie Rig" in '95 and used them for a few months and they were great but not cheap. I have not tried any of the newer versions on the market but I hear they work even better.

All you really need to do is get some heavy mono/fluorocarbon or uncoated wire and run a single treble from the main hook to fit the size bait you are using. Put the treble near the dorsal fin and you have yourself a quick strike rig. It is that simple.

Plus, if you set the hook BEFORE the hook is swallowed, you can re-use the sucker again in most cases. You save your sucker and save a fish in the process.

100% artificials for my boat the past 15 years or so.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 10-29-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress