www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Chicago muskie show vs. Columbus muskie show

Default Chicago muskie show vs. Columbus muskie show

Has anyone been to both of these event? I went to Columbus last year, it was smaller than i thought it would be. But it was put together well and i enjoyed it alot.

Reason for my question is, i want to know if i should try to plan a big trip to chicago for a night, or is the Columbus one just as good and stick with the 4-5 hour drive.

Any thoughts, or opinions would be very helpful. You never know i might have a seat open for a guest

I have talked to guys who have been to both and they have all said that Chicago is bigger and better for obvious reasons such as being closer to the musky tackle heartland and being a larger metropolitan area in which to draw.

I have not heard any negatives about Columbus just more positives about Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.....

Just my .02 cents
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I have been to both shows. Both are great but the Chicago show is night and day bigger. Just way more stuff. I do wish Columbus was closer as I have always had alot of fun there. If you can goto both i suggest doing that.

I've been to both shows multiple times over the years (and I've been a vendor at both!). To the question of which is better??? Well, it depends on what you're looking for.

Chicago is an absolute giant... the biggest show in the industry and there is a great deal of competition for the few vendor slots that open each year. That's because of the crowds. It can be a little nuts at times... and guys are spending money, so you're not going to find a lot of "deals" on baits and tackle. The vendors simply don't have to make any special offers to sell. The "personalities" of the industry are all there, but they're very busy and it can be hard to get some of them to talk unless you're rolling out a big wad of cash. The seminars are entertaining for the most part, but you'll find very little of it is relevant to fishing in PA, OH, and NY.

Columbus is smaller (maybe 1/3 of Chicago) and much more laid back. You're more likely to get a vendor to "deal" since this is very near the end of the show season and the attendance can be sparse... especially on Sunday. If you don't like crowds, just wait for one of the seminars to start and you'll pretty much have the show floor to yourself. Vendors and industry "personalities" are more likely to let you strike up a conversation since things aren't so crazy. Just be warned... it's a long show season for some of these guys and they can get a little owly toward the end! You're much more likely to sit in on a seminar given by a guy from OH, PA, or NY, too (including yours truly). So there's a lot more local flavor. Plus... the show promoter for Columbus is a good guy...

... I won't tell you what I think of the promoter for Chicago.

Jim, In your opinion is the chicago show better as far as venders? Is it alot of guys selling the same things?

Correct me if i am wrong, Ohio show has the "stuff" as what chicago has but less venders doing it. If that makes sence at all.

My plans were to go to Ohio again this year, but if somone said Chicago is light years better in every way and worth the extra time and gas to get to. Then i might try to make a weekend out of it. Thanks

Default Chicago vs. Columbus

I have also worked at the Chicago Musky Show and the Ohio Musky Show.The Chicago Musky Show will have all the big name speakers,but will it help in your learning curve for out east,not likey.There will be more vendors at Chicago but how many Double 10's & 13's do you need,at least five booths selling different versions.You will not find to many local vendors products at Chicago,the ones that are there will be in Columbus as well.Some of the seminars at Columbus will help you on your home waters.If you can go to them both I would say its worth the drive for the experience,but if you can only go to one I would go to Columbus.There will be deals at the Columbus Show,stop by the Mostly Muskies Retail Booth and say hello!
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com

Everyone should go to the Chicago Show once just to experience it. If you have to go yourself and blow all that cash on lodging and gas... it just ain't worth it. If you can get a few good guys together to split the cost, that's the way to go.
    My first time was more than 10 years ago and I was blown away. I sat in on as many seminars as I could and took a pages and pages of notes (that I later learned were completely irrelevant to my fishing). I walked up to Jim Saric and Steve Heiting (for the first time) and they opened up the magazine to show me I was added to their list of "contributing writers." It was a big deal! Larry Ramsell talked to me for 20 minutes, so did Pete Maina. I did however, have just as many (whose names I won't mention) that couldn't be bothered to even say hi. I find it funny that now these same guys call me on the phone needing info on waters I fish or "rush jobs" on illustrations for seminars and magazine ariticles. Funny how that works.
    Yes... there are a lot more vendors and manufacturers in Chicago... and WAAAAAAAAAAAY MORE lodges, guides, and vacation stuff. But there's a lot more crap too. If you want to chat with Drifter Tackle, you have to go to Chicago (they don't come to Columbus). If, however, all you're looking to do is buy some of their product, you won't find much in Chicago you can't get at Columbus. The same can be said for MOST major manufacturers. I also get the feeling that Columbus will be bigger and better than ever this year.
    That's probably more info than ANYONE was looking for, but there it is.

Thanks Jim and Larry, Both of your advise and experences are great things for people like me who are sitting on the fence of which to go to, or even go at all. They have helped me out alot Thanks again

Default Muskie Shows

I've gone to both. I'll be going to the Chicago Show again this year.
    I probably wont go to the Columbus Show, to me its not worth the 7 hour round trip driving time, plus I'll be going to the Butler Show which is 2 weeks prior to the Columbus Show.
    I really like the open pool demo they have near the end of the day on Saturday of the Chicago Show. They have an open pool on Sunday but most of the guys are starting to pack up for the trip home so you dont see as many people there showing off their wares.
    If you go to Chicago you need to go to the swap meet on Saturday night at the Offical's Time Out Sports Bars in Hoffman Estates.
    We fly out on Southwest for $120.00 round trip out of Pittsburgh.
    You cant beat it.
    Rich W
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-08-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Rich,

I will be sitting in the seat beside you someday. The Chicago Show (along with a Peacock Bass trip) are 2 things on my 'bucket list'.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Peacock Bass Trip

Red,We could make a trip to Guyana South America for Peacock Bass over Easter break one year.Airfare is around $670,we would not need much money once we get there.Wife's sister has ten mile square ranch near Brazilian border on the Ireng River(upper head waters of the Amazon River).Peacocks to 12 lbs,catchum till your arms hang at your sides!
    Captain Larry Jones

How does Easter in 2010 sound?? Just kidding.

I have 2 weeks off during the middle of April every year and that is exactly when I had planned on doing the trip.

I saw the Bassmaster guys fishing for them on ESPN one time and was sold on the Peacock's. The smaller 4-7 ponders were snapping their flippin' sticks like they were toothpicks......I cannot imagine getting hammered by a 10-15 pounder.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Next Year In April Break

Red,This year we have a family gathering in the last two weeks of March at the ranch.There will be close to 80 family relatives there for a big rodeo.April of 2011 would work,gives you time to plan and save for the trip as well.You will need to purchase the airline ticket about six months in advance to get the good price.email me your snail mail address and I'll send you a Guyana DVD to look at!
    Peacock Bass in Guyana have great colors!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PeacockBassIntro032608_1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	8081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5488.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	8082  
    Last edited by Larry Jones; 12-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Captain Larry Jones