Here is a recall I came across. I thought I should pass it along to you regarding lead paint on kids fishing reels.
News from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, D.C. 20207
For Immediate Release Firm’s Recall Hotline: (800) 588-9030
March 25, 2009 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
Release #09-166 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Children’s Fishing Poles Recalled by Zebco Due to Violation
of Lead in Paint Standard
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with
the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product.
Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of product: Children’s Fishing Poles
Units: About 2,700
Distributor: W.C. Bradley/Zebco Holdings Inc., doing business as Zebco Brands, of Tulsa,
Okla.
Hazard: The paint on the reels of these fishing poles contains excessive levels of lead, violating
the federal lead paint standard.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Description: This recall involves Zebco Advanced Youth Fishing Rod & Reel combo sets. The
reels are painted orange and have the words “Zebco” and “ZAVS 10” on the reel handle. Only
spinning reels are involved in this recall.
Sold at: Discount department and sporting good stores nationwide from August 2007 through
December 2008 for about $35.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately take the fishing poles from children and contact
Zebco for information on receiving a receiving a refund.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Zebco at (800) 588-9030 between 8
a.m. and 4 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.zebco.com