www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Hooks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hooks

I am thinking about switching out some hooks. I have a style that I use on many of my gliders and cranks, but lately I have been loosing quite a few fish. I know there are a lot of factors that can lead to losing fish, but I thought I would solicit some opinions. I do sharpen hooks, use long rods with a forgiving tip, fight fish with a low rod tip, etc... What hooks does everyone use?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi again Mike!

I switched most of my crankbaits and gliders, and jreks to Mustad 4/0 3551 hooks this year. Mike uses Eagle Claw 774's which I hope he reads this becuase I would like to find some R&H doesn't carrry them. Do not make the mistake I made. I bought a box of 25 4/0 Matzuo hooks from Bass Pro Shops they are nice hooks, but wrong application, too soft I lost a fat 45-48 would have been a PB for me this June on Tippy. All do to hook failure, the hook bent out to a 45 bringing her to the net my Son and I were so dissappointed hard lesson learned well. Mike by the way did you hear about the Fat girls they are netting at Brokeville in the spring? Bill James had a picture at the meeting, of at least a 45-48, with a Fuulll Tummy !! That they caught while netting walleyes for hatching. The club is thinking of an outing for next year there. I am thinking of a weekend trip of my own.

Buddy Ellenburg

Buddy, if you're looking for 774s, I have them here.

http://www.muskytackleonline.com/aca...agle_Claw.html

All I have right now are 4/0s but I should have more sizes in stock in the near future.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

Lets add another layer to this. Are there any hooks out there that are actully sharp out of the box. I don't mind sharpening hooks, but if there are ones that don't need it.....

The first 3551's I changed on my Kick'n Minnow that I lost my big one on, went right through the bottom jaw of the next fish a 41", right out of the box. I just make sure to check them often. The article in this months Muskie's Inc, has some good info on hook choices. For the money I like the 3551's and I'll probably try the 774's too. Thanks Aaron for the quick response! I did not make it out yesterday, I could and still can barely talk, seeing I have a test on Tuesday I felt I had better keep myself well. I hope it's not too iced up next week!

Buddy Ellenburg

Default hooks

Give the eagle claw lazer sharps a try. I don't think there is such thing as ready sharp out of the box personally, but, I think those are some great hooks. They have a little bit of a curve instead of straight tips. The only fish I lost this year where on stock hooks on the swimmin joe. Gander carries the hooks, I think its around 2.50 for a five pack of 5/0.