www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Hooks

Default Hooks

I am thinking about switching out some hooks. I have a style that I use on many of my gliders and cranks, but lately I have been loosing quite a few fish. I know there are a lot of factors that can lead to losing fish, but I thought I would solicit some opinions. I do sharpen hooks, use long rods with a forgiving tip, fight fish with a low rod tip, etc... What hooks does everyone use?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi again Mike!

I switched most of my crankbaits and gliders, and jreks to Mustad 4/0 3551 hooks this year. Mike uses Eagle Claw 774's which I hope he reads this becuase I would like to find some R&H doesn't carrry them. Do not make the mistake I made. I bought a box of 25 4/0 Matzuo hooks from Bass Pro Shops they are nice hooks, but wrong application, too soft I lost a fat 45-48 would have been a PB for me this June on Tippy. All do to hook failure, the hook bent out to a 45 bringing her to the net my Son and I were so dissappointed hard lesson learned well. Mike by the way did you hear about the Fat girls they are netting at Brokeville in the spring? Bill James had a picture at the meeting, of at least a 45-48, with a Fuulll Tummy !! That they caught while netting walleyes for hatching. The club is thinking of an outing for next year there. I am thinking of a weekend trip of my own.

Buddy Ellenburg

Buddy, if you're looking for 774s, I have them here.

http://www.muskytackleonline.com/aca...agle_Claw.html

All I have right now are 4/0s but I should have more sizes in stock in the near future.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

Lets add another layer to this. Are there any hooks out there that are actully sharp out of the box. I don't mind sharpening hooks, but if there are ones that don't need it.....

The first 3551's I changed on my Kick'n Minnow that I lost my big one on, went right through the bottom jaw of the next fish a 41", right out of the box. I just make sure to check them often. The article in this months Muskie's Inc, has some good info on hook choices. For the money I like the 3551's and I'll probably try the 774's too. Thanks Aaron for the quick response! I did not make it out yesterday, I could and still can barely talk, seeing I have a test on Tuesday I felt I had better keep myself well. I hope it's not too iced up next week!

Buddy Ellenburg

Default hooks

Give the eagle claw lazer sharps a try. I don't think there is such thing as ready sharp out of the box personally, but, I think those are some great hooks. They have a little bit of a curve instead of straight tips. The only fish I lost this year where on stock hooks on the swimmin joe. Gander carries the hooks, I think its around 2.50 for a five pack of 5/0.

I use a lot of different hooks, it all depends on the bait.

Mustads, VMC, Eagle Claws are the three I use most often. You need to sharpen every hook out of the box, if you don't you will lose fish. I have tired those Lazer Sharp hooks with the bent tips and didn't really like them. Don't think they are good for short strikes. Also keep in mind that on most of the baits that I change the hooks on, I usually go up a size or two on the hooks as well. Many baits come with to small of hooks.
    Mike Hulbert's Musky Guide Service
    E-mail: info@mikehulbert.com
    Web Site: http://www.mikehulbert.com

419-553-6570

Release 'em all

Hi Mike!

I'm still putting together my Chicago wish list! Hope the Shadillacs and Topwater are coming along fine! I going to change hooks on my pounders should I go with 7/0 or 8/0? Should I also change split rings? These are pre-Pro Pounders. Where do I get 774's in those sizes? Haven't made it back out yet, but there still might be time! Hope to see ya soon! Felize Navidad Man!

Buddy Ellenburg

Take a kid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!

If you want to switch out your hooks on your Pounders, I would go with number 8 Mustad 3551. Aaron with Musky Tackle Online has them for $6.30 for a 10 pack.

I would also change out all split rings and add one to the nose of the bait as well.
    Mike Hulbert's Musky Guide Service
    E-mail: info@mikehulbert.com
    Web Site: http://www.mikehulbert.com

419-553-6570

Release 'em all