www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing with Dahlberg and Sunday's action

Default Fishing with Dahlberg and Sunday's action

I finally got to go out fishing again after completing my education with the Captain's license. Larry Dahlberg and I went musky fishing in the metro on Saturday.
    We decided to film one last time and it paid off. Larry hooked a musky within 15 minutes of our start time (which was about 1pm). He caught his fish on Mr. Wiggly, which is a custom made swim bait that he has kept secret for years. The bait ROCKS! I am not just saying that because he is my buddy either. He went on to hook another giant musky about an hour later that was at least 48" if not 50" long. He hooked it for a moment, but it came off.
    However, it didn't take him long to find us more fish. We ended up having 6 musky encounters in 4 hours. I caught a nice 45" musky at the end on his sucker rig again. We also got a 40" musky too. It was a blast. We did it all in the metro.
    Today, I was blown away. I went alone and had three chances at big muskies. I went to one of my late season spots on the river and the fish were there. I had a high forty inch fish miss my bulldawg bait early. The fish followed the lure lasily so I switched to Larry's Mr. Wiggly. After about 8 casts, I had a monster follow Mr. Wiggly and swipe at it. It was really thick. I would guess around 52"! I was super excited (you got to remeber I have been in the Coast Guard class for a couple weeks)! I quickly called Larry to share the news of fish chasing his bait. After calling him, I fished about another 4 casts and BAM! Another big musky, maybe 48" creamed the Wiggly bait at the boat side, and I set the hook and missed it. The fish hit it sideways and I didn't get the right angle for a hookset. The musky eventually spit out the soft bait and it floated to the surface where I could retrieve it. Pretty cool. All this action was around 3:30pm. Clearly the fish were moving.
    It was a super fun Sunday afternoon to say the least. I know Brett Farve was throwing touchdowns, but nothing matches musky encounters. That Mr. Wiggly bait is awesome in cold water conditions for Muskies. It really works if you control the speed right. It clearly out performed the bulldawg. I can't wait to head back out tomorrow for the last day of the season.
    Josh
    Last edited by Josh Stevenson; 11-29-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    Mighty Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    Josh Stevenson, Professional Fishing Guide
    1985 Geneva Avenue North
    Oakdale, Minnesota 55128
    Cell Phone: 651-335-2118
    Shop Phone: 651-777-2421
    Guide Website: http://www.mightymusky.com
    Store Website: http://www.blueribbonbait.com