www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bank Fishing off the shores of Lake Erie.

Default Bank Fishing off the shores of Lake Erie.

Its that time of year when some of the biggest Walleyes, in the lake can get caught by bank anglers.I headed north yesterday afternoon to Lake Erie, to try my luck at fishing on shore for Pig Walleyes.When I pulled into the Huron Pier area, I was amazed hardly any cars can recall the days gone bye if you werent in your spot my 4pm you couldnt find a place to park.I was greeted by a stiff north east wind got the warm gear out grabbed my stuff and started walking towards the pier.I glanced to my left and saw that the West Wall area was protected and saw a few guys on the point of west wall.I was the only fool fishing in the river and it was stained and rough.As darkness arrived I realized i made a huge mistake by not going to the west wall where the water clarity was excellent.At 7:15pm 2 guys with lights on their ball caps popped out from fishing west wall and asked doing any good I said no did you?One guy, said I didnt but he did and the lucky angler turned his back to me and exposed 4Walleyes in the 8-12lb class I said congrats and they headed for the car.7:30Pm another guy comes out and asked if i was doing any good I said no but a guy had 4 real big ones off the wall and he turns around showing 3 in the 8-10lb class.Location Location Location sometimes your better off going with your 1st instinct instead of saying its too crowded.The fish are there and it could be an incredible night bite if mother nature doesnt get too tough! C.B

Cold front coming in this week. Also, I have seen several reports on various sites talking about the channel in the Huron river out in front of the pier was being dredged which was murking it up. Probably why west wall was crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by crittergitter View Post
    Cold front coming in this week. Also, I have seen several reports on various sites talking about the channel in the Huron river out in front of the pier was being dredged which was murking it up. Probably why west wall was crowded.
    Here is the "Fish Huron" Web cam... The dredges are working the ship channel out by the light house.

http://fishhuronohio.com/huronwebcam.htm

Default Bank Fishing Lake Erie!

Huron, isnt the only place to fish for Trophy Walleye, this time of year.Marblehead Lighthouse,Lakeside Pier,Muzarick acess ,Catawba pier and years gone by Battery Park behind the police station in Sandusky Ohio.I have had good results fishing off Luna Pier in Michigan about 35 minutes from Toledo many guys use waders in that area and it gets very crowded.Rogues, are my favorite along with Husky Jerks and half ounce rattle traps when the water is real cold!It can be hit and miss but anytime you can catch a 13lb plus Walleye off the bank is worth the effort a possible State record could end up on the end of your line fishing the banks of Lake Erie this time of year!One can still take a ferry boat to Kellys island where fishing off the bank anywhere at night could put the biggest Walleye on the end of your line!

I have seen a few reports of walleye being caught from shore in the last couple weeks. One for Catawba, 2 reports from Lakeside, 2 reports from Kelleys and 4 reports where the pier was un-named.

Also, as an FYI a free public ramp opened at Huron on 11/24/09 which is an awesome resource!