www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Turn Over - How can one tell?

Default Turn Over - How can one tell?

As muskie hunters, we all have that reason why we did not catch that muskie . Some, say its the TURN OVER, Or the clarity of the water or the surface temp. But , how does one tell that Turn Over has happened?, what are some of the physical sign, one might look for while on the water?. How does one find the water temp, at the bottom of the lake, and are there probes that reach that far?.

kevin

Default Kevin-

I am no expert....and it is a little different on every lake. However, from my experience turnover results in a brief period of very dirty water followed by extreme clarity. However, this "extreme" clarity is dependent on the body of water..."really clear" for Shelbyville is probably 4-6 foot visibility as far as my experience out there tells me. It seems to be one of the less clear of the reservoirs in Illinois. Since there are not any weeds in Shelbyville (at least I have never fished any in Lithia), turnover is harder to tell. After turnover the weeds die off and this is a tell tale sign. Good luck, I think we are about to get turnover here at Kinkaid and it sucks!

We are heading to Kinkaid next wed through Sat. Do you think the turnover at this time of the year, next week, will make it extremely tough. We have a very long drive and want to get a better idea of the conditions down there.