www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Casting nets

Default Casting nets

Anyone have any imput on casting nets to get suckers? I am still looking to get some good size ones but have no place to get them and no efficient way of trapping them other than throwing out a worm and waiting. I was thinking that if I used a casting net and went to some riffles below bridges and such I may have a chance at getting some descent size ones.

Thanks,

Jacob

Is your question, You can not find suckers big enough or, you can not find a casting net big enough?

This may or may not help, i got my casting net from walmart a few years back. I was cruisin the fishing section and seen them and grabbed it. If memory is correct they had different sizes.

sorry about the confusion, I am looking for bigger suckers, I was thinking about getting a net but was not sure if it was an efficient way of catching them or not. So does a cast net work for catching suckers for quick strike rigs (8-12") long.

Thank you,

Jacob

"TAKING AND KEEPING BAIT is permitted using rod and reel or handline, dip net, or minnow seine not over 4 feet square in diameter, or a minnow trap with no more than two openings that shall not exceed 1 inch in diameter. All devices must be under the immediate control of the person using them. Unattended minnow traps or baitfish containers left in Commonwealth waters must be identified with the owner’s or user’s name, address, and telephone number. If fishing in a group and the total number of fishbait or baitfish taken exceeds the possession limit (50), separate containers must be provided for the fishbait and baitfish. Total possession limit in any one container may not exceed 50 baitfish or fishbait combined." - Taken straight from the Reg Book

looks like I am stuck with a nightcrawler and some splitshots. Why the heck does walmart sell these nets then? Oh well thanks for clarifying.

Jacob

There are several guys in this area who use a cast/throw to get Fall shiners and have done so for decades. I had always assumed it was legal.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Under 58 Pa. Code §63.48 (relating to permit for the use of cast nets or throw nets), the Executive Director of the Fish and Boat Commission (Commission) or his designee may issue permits for the use of cast nets or throw nets for the taking of gizzard shad 8 inches or less in length and alewife only in waters to be determined by the Executive Director. Notice is hereby given that the Executive Director has determined that the Commission will issue permits under §63.48 for the following waters: Lake Arthur, Butler County; Raystown Lake, Huntingdon County; and Shenango Lake, Mercer County. A separate permit will be required for each body of water

I'm fishing on the OBX this week and I was just looking at very nice cast nets at a tackle shop down here this morning. 6' nets are $55 and I think the 8' nets were $75. I'd love to learn how to throw one of those. There are guys down here that do that as a part time job selling the bait to tackle shops.