Looks like mother nature pulled the plug on the 2009 summer season. Water temps have fallen over 15 degrees in the last several days...to a balmy 58 degrees.
There is still lots of time to get out there and chase some brownies until the water temps bottom out in the mid to low 40s...after that I'm not quite sure where the Mille Lacs smallmouth bass go to winter. I would imagine they will be pulling away from the rock reefs and seek deeper water for the winter.
TIP: When the perch come shallow to feed in the weedy bays try rattle traps and shallow running cranks in perch color, firetiger and shad patterns. Small spinnerbaits buzzed over the tops of the weeds will also attract fall feeding bass and an occasional walleye or musky.

Thanks to all my clients who made the 2009 guiding season a very enjoyable one for me. I had a blast sharirng the boat with each and every one of you. Hope all the readers of this post have a safe fall and winter season as you pursue you favorite outdoor activities.

For those looking ahead to the 2010 season..I've already begun booking trips for next year. Contact me thru email (jtd648@comcast.net)or phone (320 630 4792) and we can discuss setting you up for some great Mille Lacs smallmouth bass action.

That's about it for now...soon it will be time to start thinking about putting the fishing stuff away for the winter and think about dusting off the duck/goose decoys.

Remember...if you dont chase em you wont catch em