www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: SEPT 28th REPORT

Default SEPT 28th REPORT

Looks like we will have some typical fall weather coming. Currently it is 52 and very windy. With the weather the next couple of days, the water temps will drop from their 67 to 69 temps to more normal temps for this time of year.

Muskies are getting more and more active with the drop in water temps....fish are showing themselves, but short striking and slashing at baits rather than eating them....this is where super sharp hooks and total attention to your retrieve will pay off.

The typical pre-turnover movement of fish to shallow weeds is starting to occur, and will really kick in after this next cool down. I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU, THE LAKES DID NOT TURNOVER.....

Technically, by definition, there shouldn't be any turnover this year because the lakes haven't developed a thermocline which is necessary for a defined turnover....yes, lakes will mix and clear up, which is a version of turnover, but look up what is defined by turnover and you'll see what I mean.

Walleyes continue to bite very well in the deep lakes, with limits coming everytime that I've been out...with some more nice fish to 26"(released)...
    Nightcrawlers and leeches are still best, however did start to get fish on large fatheads and redtails....this will soon change to all redtails after another drop in water temp. Deep sand and gravel humps are the key. Use your graph and trust it....watch the transition line between hard and soft bottom transitions and look for fish. Once you find them, mark them and fish them. I am using the lightest jig possible to cast, and when anchored, I am using slip bobbers.

Muskies have been moving around thick cabbage and shallow rock structures for me. Humps that top off at 5 to 10 feet are what I am talking about.
    Cowgirls, spinnerbaits, suicks are working best in these situations. I am also seeing a few fish suspended off of these structures, but not consistant. We did lose a big fish on rubber fishing the deeper zones. Topwaters will really start to come into their own once the water cools, and the movement of muskies into the shallow weed edges happens after the next couple of days with the weather.

GOOD LUCK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	7143  
    Last edited by Rob Manthei; 09-28-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    Rob Manthei Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.robmanthei.com

http://www.stgermainlodge.com

Thanks for the report. I have been up since last Friday and have been experiencing frustration. Had one small follow on a rubber sucker (swim 'n joe) on High Lake on Saturday after tossing everything in my arsenal. I'm heading out on BSG in about an hour since it is so nice out, hopefully see a little action. This weekend will choose between Ballard, Big (Cisco) or Palmer. Any thoughts to help me choose? Weather is iffy as far as rain.

Thanks

Two short strikes last evening--finally a little action. Made sure my hooks were "melt in their mouth" sharp. Will try again tonight.

Thanks for the report Rob, any additional updates now that the cold has set in and the winds have died down? What are the current water temps and what are the muskies doing?

Thanks!
    Craig

I was out all day today. Hit it hard--three different lakes----nada on any musky. My hands are definitely sore. Threw everything, mostly cowgirls, home-made bucktails, shallow raider, swim 'n joe, super stalker, different depths and directions. Conditions were cloudy, misty/rainy, sun came out for about 10 minutes, 50 degrees max, not too much wind, thankfully. Same story from people I talked to at the launches. I'll be back up last week of October--hopefully have a different story.