www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Wingra lunch

Default Wingra lunch

Does anyone know whats going on with the launch at Wingra, I seen they had no parking signs all over the parking lot and they also tore up all the curbs, im guessing they are going to repave the whole parking lot soon which would make it impossible to launch while the work is being done? I could be wrong, does anyone have any idea on whats going on and when this suppose to be done.?

I will try to get over there this week and check it out.

I do know that when they started this mess, I asked the engineer when it will be done and he said October.

Stay tuned......
    Gerard

Default message from lake-link about wingra boat launch

Musky fishing on this lake will be more of a challenge this fall.
    According to the city of Madison's Parks Department the parking lot and launch at Knickerbocker will be closed for about a month beginning Oct. 5. It's all weather dependent, of course. So pray for dry weather.

There is a boat launch at Vilas park but it is narrow and shallow and has no pier, but will have to do.

The guy I spoke to at parks said it was a tough call and they new that this is a prime time for musky fishing but there were others to consider as well. If they would have closed the ramp in the spring or summer, it would have killed the canoe and kayak rental business located at the ramp. They also honored a request from the nearby Jewish Temple to keep the lot open until after Rosh Hashanah, which was Sept. 19.

I understand the city's decision but it still stinks, especially for those (not me) who have bigger boats. The city said that the long term plan would be to eventually improve the Vilas ramp, when they improve that whole thoroughfare through Vilas park, but that could be years away.

The good news is we still have access to the lake, and we can also fish other nearby musky lakes like Monona and Waubesa.