www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Education, and Oh yeah, first on the Fly!!

Default Musky Education, and Oh yeah, first on the Fly!!

Well, I hit the water hard with the Flyrod over the weekend and the Musky were there to teach me a few lessons. These fish were crushing these flies like I had never seen before. Most of the action I had before this consisted of the fly being inhaled on the pause during the strip. Not this time. I was stripping the fly in about 1-3 ft below the surface. Next thing I know, I see a low-mid 40's fish shoot right past the fly and about 3ft out of the water with a perfect dolphin dive back in!!! LOL

There was another that slammed the fly so hard right next to the boat that it very nearly took the rod out of my hand. I just wasn't really prepared for these kinds of attacks on such a slow moving bait. But to witness this all so near the boat was FANTASTIC!!

I lost a couple of fish before finally being able to land the one in the pic. I learned that even if I believe that my hookset was not good, never, and I mean NEVER point the rod toward the fish to attempt another hookset. I tried this and lost a very nice one. Should have just kept a bend in the rod and rode it out.

Anyhow, the fish in the pic drilled the fly just as I was ready to yank it out of the water and head to a new spot. Gave a great battle with some very energetic runs in there. One of the crazy things was that I decided to try a new knot when I bought this new fly rig. About 10 minutes after I released this fish, the knot came apart and I lost my whole leader!! LOL And that was just from casting. Lady Luck can be quite interesting. Needless to say, I went back to my old knot.

I cannot wait to get back after them!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlyMusky.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	6983  

Nice job........you sure earned it!

Sounds like the fish were fired-up! Maybe all along you just needed the right day to make it happen........

Great job dude! I am jonesing (no pun intended!), for some big fish on the fly...less that 3 weeks to go until I am tangling with 30lb salmon!

I am not ready yet for musky on the fly...I will be 40 in two weeks and I am not sure my old heart can take it!

You da MAN! Great job!

May I ask what fly were you using?

Congrats, Jay.........your persistence is paying off.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Congrats on meeting another goal Jay!! That's awesome you finally got one on the fly!!!

Congrats -- just had a feeling you'd be successful this weekend. Way to rip a lip!

What knot failed, if I may ask.... I don't want to be using the same one!!

Gary

Default Congrats

Congrats on your first. Days like that make the sore arms worthwhile. I have been struggling with fishing stained water. Anyone ever put rattles iin their flies? If so what type?

Thanks guys, much appreciated!!

i just kind of had that feeling over the last week or so that I was gonna see some action. As i mentioned, a couple of fish taught me some VERY important lessons.

Riverrunt,

The fly I was using was an 8" streamer with a Yellow Perch pattern, which is now laying at the bottom of the lake. LOL But I also had action on a similar streamer in a Shad pattern.

Gary,

The knot was my first attempt at an Albright. It felt secure initially, but seemed to slip on the new flyline. I have a feeling that I just don't know how to tie it properly yet. I went back to the blood knot, but I sometimes have a tough time with that one sliding through the eyes.

Toothy,

You're right, those fish were definitely fired up. I am still having dreams of seeing them just flying through the water and hammering the fly. Heck, most of the time they just kept right on going. It was incredible!!

GreatLakes,

I have started working on my own rattle chamber, but have not used it yet. I have a couple of Bass buddies that claim there are some on the market that might work. I have not tried those either.

thanks, labattbluebackwards !

RiverRunt,

LOL can you tell that I'm a fan of Labatt Blue?? Thats actually the beer that I celebrated with after landing that fish this weekend!!

Congrats Jay you sure earned it, your persistence paid off.

Bob S.

labattblue, I just won an ebay auction for perch flies. I can't wait to try them out.

RiverRunt,

Awesome man, hope you get some action on those! The exact patterns I have been using are on the wetieit.com website under the Figure-8 flies. But I also had some action on another perch pattern Bucktail bunny fly, also on that site.

I plan to be back at 'em this weekend!! Good luck, hopefully we both have some stories to report in the near future