www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Muskies Anonymous?

Default Muskies Anonymous?

I heard this is where all the other addicts meet to discuss their "problem"! Hahaha.

I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Mike. I'm from Uniontown, PA (south of pittsburgh) and I've always had a fascination with musky but never pursued it as a sport. Well, that's about to change. For the last few months I've been reading forums (this one included) and biologist reports, watching videos, reading magazines and of course burning up the credit card! I'm taking my first musky fishing trip this weekend. I chose Pymatuning. Probably should've started on a numbers lake, but what the heck, I like to swing for the fence.

I feel like I'm very prepared. I've got all the gear for both catching AND releasing, I'm armed with lots of classroom knowledge, but zero field experience. I posted something similar on MI 3 rivers forum and got a response from a very helpful gentleman who recommended trolling the weed edges south of the causeway. If anybody else has any advice for the first-timer, I'd be glad to hear it!

Thanks,
    Mike

Glad to have you on the board. We have some very helpful guys on here and I am sure you will get some great responses.

My partner has been downsizing and running between 2.5 and 3.5mph banging muskies and walleye in the top 24 feet of water while other guys are pulling big stuff at other depths with success. The Bell tower heading East/South to the I-86 bridge has been productive.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 09-10-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Jackpot!... you answered my question about trolling speed before I could ask it. Thanks Red!

BTW... I read your post about your kicker. How do you like it? I have the same Merc 15 w/o the prokicker gearing and it moves my 18' Tundra just fine.

I haven't fished pymy much for musky but have some buddys who have fished it a good bit. They were trollers and said 4 to 6mph was the norm for them on speed. There is a post called "Trolling info for upcoming trip" on the 2nd page of this forum. It should help you out some. Good Luck!
    Last edited by allegheny river kid; 09-11-2009 at 07:18 AM.

There is always more than one successful pattern for Chautauqua.......my partner usually goes for the trolling plan that will get a rod bent the easiest (instead of looking for big muskies) for his clients, unless they request a 'big fish' outing. The majority of the bait will be moving deep soon so the shallow musky gig usually begins to change in late-Sept/early-October.

As for my kicker, it finally got put on yesterday. I will pick it up and take it for a test run on Saturday to work out the 'bugs' for Sunday's clients on Tionesta Lake.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 09-12-2009 at 05:34 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Heading down to my neck of the woods huh.....good luck to you guys !!

Well, first half of the day down and nothing to show for it yet. Overcast skies and a good chop on the water. We've found the baitfish 5-10' deep in 15' of water usually. Trolled and cast around them, but nothing doing. Cast around the windswept side of the islands and shoreline and had one boil at a topwater, but that's all. This lake is massive, it's killing me not being able to drop the 115.

lowbidder, welcome to the addiction!

I am just into my 2nd year of this craziness and have been having a blast. These fish seem to have a tendency to teach you lessons every step of the way. Gotta love that kind of challenge. Even once you think you've figured a few things out, they'll throw ya another curve.

I'll tell ya one thing though, I just can't get into the other freshwater fish like I used to since landing that first Musky. Sure, I go after the Smallies and trout here and there, but thats just to pass time until the next Musky trip. LOL

I'm a caster and Flyfisherman, so I usually just end up with a sore back and arms. But, that just makes it all the more worth it once everything comes together and you have one in the net!!!

Good luck and can't wait to hear about that first one!!

Oh man... I know what you're saying. I trolled 60 miles of weedline and cast to balls of baitfish, flats and islands until my arm damn near fell off this weekend. Lost one fish and watched a giant boil the surface 10' from my boat. No fish, but I can't think about anything other than how soon I can get back out. I have the desire, I think I need some lessons