www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How's the fishing been?

Default How's the fishing been?

Any good (or bad) reports from Labor Day weekend? My Dad and I are counting down the days until we get there -- only 8 more days to go!

I'm starting to get that jigging feeling back in my wrists!

Yea, I am counting the days also. Will be up this Friday, Sept. 11th, and will be up there the entire week of the 14th. Wow, do I need this fishing trip, and cannot wait. Let us know any hot spots.

We did some bass fishing and caught some real nice ones in Sucker Bay. Also had some follows by some eel pouts and caught a few real nice ones. I didnt know they followed lures to the boat.

While jigging off of 2nd Duck we caught some perch but no walleyes. I had something real big on that I fought for 5 mins before it took a run around the boat and got tangled up in the trolling motor. I have caught quite a few 28 - 29 inch walleyes and this was much bigger. Guessing it was a pike or musky but more likely a big eel pout.

Default Agreed

Agree with both of you.

1) Yes. I need this fishing trip!!! Been spending my summer learning ocean fishing here in NJ. Went on one boat and the drift and current was so fast that we were using 16 oz weights to get the bait down. That's a far cry for 1/8 oz jigs for walleyes!

2) Yes. Never heard of eelpout following lures. Sounds like you had a nice muskie or northern pike on until the motor got in the way! At least you had some good fun for 5 minutes!

See everyone out at the Hardwoods, Pine Point or the Narrows next week!

Default Follows

I also have some doubts of pout following baits to boat. They are normally in deeper colder water at this time of year. The fish you saw may be dog fish, they look similar to pout and do hang in shallow water and weeds.

Perch are starting to show up in the narrows near Walker Bay and the big lake. Small jigs tipped with fatheads are the ticket. We also caught some nice walleyes in the same area including a fat 25 incher.

Shad rapping during the full moon was unbelievable with several big fish landing in the boat. Still some good walleye fishing west of Goose with live bait rigs. I would also try some jigs and minnows.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Default New moon

THANKS MURPH! I always try to time my trips with either a full moon or a new moon. I know a lot of other factors play in (ie. the proverbial "walleye chop"), but I found that these two were the best time to fish. What do you see as the biggest differences between the two moon phases?

See you out there!

I thought it was highly unusal for an eel pout to follow a lure to the boat as well. We were fishing the weed beds in Sucker Bay throwing white spinners. We had quite a few of these fish follow the lures to the boat. Mainly in 5-6 feet of water.

Here are a couple of pics from our trip in mid Aug of the fish that my uncle caught. I thought they were eel pout but perhaps I am wrong. As you can see in the second picture we are fishing some weed beds and Im in the background casting spinners.

We had the same thing happen fishing the same weed beds over labor day weekend.

Can someone confirm what type of fish these are?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aug2009a.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	6938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aug2009b.JPG 
Views:	380 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	6939  

Default Dogfish

That is a dogfish? What did you do with them?
    John Bricker
    West Union, IA

That is definately a dogfish or bowfin. I am a master at catching them back here in Indiana. I have caught hundrends of them.

Good to hear the fish are biting. My group of 11 guys will Arive at Acorn Hill resort this Saturday.

Last year we caught a ton of walleye. I am amazed how the walleye fishing has rebounded like it has. 5 years ago we were lucky to catch any walleye. Now we limit out very day we are there. Cant wait!

Well as you can see one of them was taken back to shore to be filleted thinking it was an eel pout! We have heard how good the eel pouts are to eat. So how do these bowfish taste?

Let us know what the dogs taste like.

I caught a big one one time and filet the thing. The meat looked so disgusting, I couldn't even get myself to cook it. Let us know if you try it.

I gave the fillets to my friend Greg Dittmer to eat. He likes Carp so I figured he would love this. I will let you know once he reports back to me!!!