www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How much tackle do you carry on your boat?

Default How much tackle do you carry on your boat?

I am sure everyone has ran in to this problem, tackle storage. I think i have a good slection ( i know people with alot more) but my fishing partner and i will take turns on each others boat and my box is large and weights alot.

How do you guys slim down the baits you want to use, baits you know you will use, or the ones you think you should have just incase?

Any storgae tips for smaller boat?

Well I'm sure volumns can be written on this topic. First of all I try and have everything and anything that may work either in the boat or close to it. I would hate to be without the bait that turns hot on the trip. Regarding fishing from a smaller boat or someone else's I tend to bring the staples for that time and work with my partner for the back up stuff and compliment what he doesn't have and then we would share the rest.
    Chris

My boat seemed to have plenty of room in it until I started using it!! Seems like there's plenty of room for the tackle boxes (like most guys, a lot stays home in the garage, etc.). It's the fishing rods that seem to be a problem Seems like they are always getting in the way. Perhaps (better) rod storage is the answer? Never seems to be enough storage for them whether it's vertical or horizontal. Of course, perhaps I should tell my fishing partners that they don't need so many rods with them?

For what it is worth, I started carrying far fewer lures with me this year since we only seem to be chucking the same 4-8 baits on any given day plus I started carrying far fewer rods (but extra reels) since the 8' and 8.5 rods rated for 2-6 ounces handles just about anything we will throw. Before I had 2 different rods for each guy, one for smaller baits and another for medium/large baits.

We have not broken a rod in several years but I had 7 reels blow up just this past year alone so that it why I think having extra reels is MUCH more important than having several extra rods.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Default To many tackle boxs for sure

I definately need to scale back the number of tackle boxs!One-Buctails,One-Jerkbaits,Gluidebaits & Topwaters,One-Plastics and Three-Crankbaits.
    That is 6 Big Tackle Boxs,close to 175 lbs.But you just might need that one today!Not to mention"Too Many Rods" 10 Trolling Rods & 10 Casting Rods!
    Only One Net!
    Last edited by Larry Jones; 09-09-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com

Hello,
    What kind of reels did you have blow up? I am still using my Pfueger Supremes and have not had any problems other than the level wind worm gears getting worn out. I dismantle my reels every winter and clean them and grease/oil them. These reels have lasted many years of everyday use. A drop of good oil on the level wind gear every couple hours really helps.
    muskyguide

The roller clutches and pinion gears do not last long when the bait is flying through the air at 40mph and the reel 'accidentally' becomes engaged or the King Kong hookset on the infamous submerged tree branch occurs.

I am using AC 300's which hold-up great under normal fishing conditions.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com