www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report

Default Fishing Report

It has been a while since I have posted a fishing report so here it is. What a summer, or lack of summer weather. Walleye fishing remains strong with typical seasonal presentations. Live bait rigs are still the most consistent offering. Some days crawlers are better than leeches, use both and experiment. If the bite slows down switch tactics. Minnows should be back in play soon as fall approaches, or has it already arrived? Trolling shad raps and covering water is also a good option. Look for a strong fall perch bite this year. Small jigs tipped with fatheads or plastic grubs work well.

Muskies are still hard to come by. Hopefully we will experience a good fall bite like last season. There are some fish moving but the feeding windows are very short in duration. Watch the solunar tables as they have helped me put some fish in the boat this year. Fish seem to be holding on the outer weed edges. They are still using the weeds even if they are not thick, sandgrass and chara weeds which are thin in nature are still good fish structure. I have heard of fish eating shad raps trolled in tradristiotnal walleye spots. Last night I caught two large walleyes trolling muskie baits, go figure. LOL

I have had some luck with trolling in open water, enough said. Planer boards are the key, these fish are not deep in the water column and trolling the baits out from the boat seems to help.

The Muskies Inc. tournament is a few short weeks away, get your tickets and join in on the fun. The dates are September 10 through the 12th. A new Skeeter boat is the grand prize this year, all you need is a 40 inch fish and a little luck.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the update Murph. The board has been real quiet lately, so guessing that either not too many fisherman are fishing, or everyone's catching a ton of fish, and they don't want to share the "secret" spot!

I'm hoping it's both so that there are a lot of hungry fish. Less than 3 weeks to our arrival, and we can't wait.

Default Lake Benedict

Hey Murph,

We come up on Sept 11th. We have been coming up the last 12 years, but missed last year. We stay at Pinehurst Lodge. Just a great place to stay. Really looking forward to a week up on the Leech Lake area. Any places for walley on Benedict? Or Kabetogoma bay? During the day, I always venture out to Walker Bay, Narrows, Goose Island. I just don't like fishing at night since it is so far back from the Big Lake to Benedict. Let me know any daytime fishing spots, or, if walleys might be biting on Benedict. Two years ago, same time frame, I caught quite a few, nothing big, but keepers. Thanks

Steve

I will be honest, I do not get back in Benidict much. I think if you caught fish there in the past you will find them again. Fish are creatures of habit. Maybe some can give you more advice.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com