www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: August 20th report

Default August 20th report

I had Earl Cutter out today. Actually I took his friend and son out in the morning and earl and Dave out in the afternoon. In the morning we didn't do much on the muskies. It was their first time muskie fishing so I was hoping something would happen but it didn't. We had one half hearted attempt at a Pacemaker. Really great people but the muskies didn't cooperate.

In the afternoon we caught two fish. Earl caught a 40 incher and I caught a low thirty inch fish. Those were the only two we saw but at least we caught both. Both fish hit in the figure eight.

Water temps were 68 when I looked this morning.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Ty,
    I read your comment about fish hitting on the 8 now and remember to do one. My 15 yr old doesn't do the greatest 8's....too narrow and slow.....just a "lazy" move....I keep reminding him but it just doesn't click for some reason.

What do you think about a figure "0"? I'm thinking of converting him to this in the hopes that it will be easier for him and will lead to more hits.

Your thoughts?

p.s. pretty sure we're going to hit the Chip with our "new to us" boat for a few days during the week of 8/31. I want to get him working on the "0" before this.

I use an L Turn and then go into a large O and watch for a follow. If I spot a fish on the way in or if one shows up in the O then I go to a large 8 because the change of direction is usually what will trigger the strike. Unfortunately probably the only way he'll learn the importance of a good figure 8 is to blow a good fish. Seems like that's how we all have to learn I'll be there the same time you are. I'm staying at Deerfoot with my 12 year old son, he has the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brady View Post
    I use an L Turn and then go into a large O and watch for a follow. If I spot a fish on the way in or if one shows up in the O then I go to a large 8 because the change of direction is usually what will trigger the strike. Unfortunately probably the only way he'll learn the importance of a good figure 8 is to blow a good fish. Seems like that's how we all have to learn I'll be there the same time you are. I'm staying at Deerfoot with my 12 year old son, he has the same problem.
    Gary,

He lost a good fish last year (upper 40's) due to his getting lazy when the lure gets close to the boat. He'll sometimes slow down the lure to a near crawl and his 8's downright suck most times.
    I try to coach him to maintain the lure speed all the way to the boat and to start a gentle curve into the 8 and to maintain the speed during the 8...but he gets lazy.
    Once I determine for sure if we're going, I'll PM you my cell number....maybe we can hook up for lunch somewhere?

Jim

Eh, they're kids. I'm 27 and I get lazy with my 8s occassionally, ask Ty. I can about imagine my "focus" on every cast if I muskie fished at that age. If, and hopefully they do, they stick with muskie fishing, it will come. Just be happy they are in the boat and fishing at all and not playing video games and texting all day.

trav

Great advice from Gary. I'd go the same route he explained.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    Great advice from Gary. I'd go the same route he explained.
    Yup...I agree.

Gary - I totally fu'bared!!! I thought my kids went back to school after Labor Day. Turns out they go back on 9/1. I can't go this week because I'm traveling for a few days. BUMMER!!! Not sure what when we'll come up!!!